Anne (Booklady) Molinarolo's Reviews > Love Story

Love Story by Erich Segal

Apr 23, 2012

bookshelves: good-fiction, permanent-library, womens-fiction, spring-2012, classics
Read on April 30, 2012 , read count: 3

"What the hell makes you so smart?" I asked. "I wouldn't go for coffee with you,” she answered. "Listen -- I wouldn't ask you." "That, "she replied "is what makes you stupid." — Erich Segal

So begins Oliver Barrett IV and Jennifer Cavilleri love story. Both are intelligent Ivy Leaguers. He is a big Harvard hockey player and is expected to follow the big footprints of his father, while she is a Radcliffe music major hoping to study in Paris. He is old money and she is not. They have nothing in common, but love. They do not know that they have little time. And that time is not wasted. For after an argument Jenny tells Ollie, ’”Love means never having to say you’re sorry.’”

Written in 1970, Erich Segal has created a beautiful and poignant story with unforgettable characters. They had a generation longing for that special love story, and we spilled our tears, and spume that famous line: Love means never having to say you’re sorry.” We laughed at their banter and cried at life’s unfairness to Ollie and Jenny. We sit vigil with Ollie and Phil in the New York hospital. We appreciate the time and experiences of the young Barretts. We feel their solace as they hold each other and cry with them, because we feel their deep love for each other. And we want that kind of love, even if it is just a short time. Jenny and Ollie’s story lingers with us, because Segal has created a hauntingly beautiful story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Story.

Quotes Anne (Booklady) Liked

Erich Segal
“What the hell makes you so smart?" I asked. "I wouldn't go for coffee with you, " she answered. "Listen -- I wouldn't ask you." "That, "she replied "is what makes you stupid.”
Erich Segal, Love Story

Erich Segal
“Love means never having to say you're sorry.”
Erich Segal, Love Story