Deann Doolittle's Reviews > The First Four Years

The First Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Apr 27, 12

bookshelves: children-s-fiction
Read from April 23 to 27, 2012

I was not as impressed with the last book in the series as I was with all the rest. I have never read this book before. I know it was found after Laura Ingalls Wilder had died and you can tell that it wasn't here that was actually doing the writing. It was nice to have the story come to a close by telling about her children. I did not realize she had a son as well.

I am glad that I took the time to re-read these books. I still think these stories should be mandatory reading for the intermediate grade school levels. I don't think kids these days can even fathom having to spend the majority of your day doing chores and helping around the farm and house, sometimes eating nothing but bread, potatoes, and blackbirds (eeww), making your own clothes, teaching school at 15 years old, or having to wake up in the morning with snow on top of your covers.

I hope my girls will want to read these books in a few years and I will be more than happy to read them again with them.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Four Years.