Kenzie Keppner's Reviews > My Mother the Cheerleader

My Mother the Cheerleader by Robert Sharenow

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: eng-356
Read from April 23 to 25, 2012

Wow... This book is truly eye opening to the filth that went on during the civil rights movement. When I first started this book, I thought it might be a little young more of a tween age. The girl is 13 in the book and it shows. She is mature for her age but she does do 13 year old things. I also thought she was a little stockerish. After thinking about it though, I came to the conclusion that there are deeper meanings to everything she does.

Violence- 3. There are some images of pure hatred toward Ruby Bridges. There is talk of lynching and killing. Also cars being lit up. It is extremely eye opening but disturbing.

Language- 2. There really wasn't any strong language. Mostly just derogatory names towards Negro people. There is a lot of name calling and just hate words.

Drugs/Alcohol- 2. The main character never drinks but her mother is sort of a drunk. Her mother does get drunk once and throw up all over the place but nothing besides that.

Sex- 4. Her mom sleeps around. But there is a rape scene. Be prepared to be a little shocked. It isn't in explicit detail, but enough to make you cringe. There are also other parts of the book where the main character is exposed to naked men.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Mother the Cheerleader.