Neile's Reviews > The Master of Heathcrest Hall

The Master of Heathcrest Hall by Galen Beckett

Apr 23, 2012

Read in April, 2012

The third in the trilogy about Mrs. (now Lady) Quent, has her husband rising high in power just as war is becoming a reality and the powers that be are maneuvering to gather more power to themselves. What drove me through this was the fascinating world, and learning more about it. I also puzzled about the strangeness of the sisters and their relationships (Rose gets very fey) and was intrigued by the efforts against the evil regime, but I never quite felt that the characters, particularly Mrs. Quent, lived up to it; especially in this volume of the series where events are so dramatic, she seemed curiously passive and lacking in affect, dreaming and waiting for messages and not actively working things out for herself. The book reminded me several times that she was supposedly good at puzzles but she didn't seem to be working out anything, simply taking things as rote, and only leaving safe places to no effect or only ill effect. I was particularly annoyed when twice in a row the author omitted portraying climactic scenes and only described them briefly after the fact! Quite frustrating, in a book that could have been wonderful. But I still give it four stars for the worldbuilding, the woods, the theatrical world, the spying, and some delightful magic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Master of Heathcrest Hall.