UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish's Reviews > Bared to You

Bared to You by Sylvia Day

I’m just going to start by saying that this was a tough book to get through, and a couple of times it almost landed on my DNF shelf. Had I not read it right on the heels of the Fifty Shades trilogy, I might have enjoyed it more, and one look at the ratings and you’ll know that I’m in the minority when it comes to how I feel about this story. Oh well, it is what it is, right? Here are my thoughts about Bared to You.

Oh, before I begin, it’s important to note that I am not comparing this book to the Fifty Shades books as far as quality goes, but because both books pushed similar buttons, I’ll mention them side-by-side.

I’ve heard it said, repeatedly, that Bared to You is similar to, but much better than, the Fifty Shades books. While I agree, the writing was much more polished, I was surprised at how similar the stories are and how unremarkable this one is overall. As in the Fifty books we had the same type of hero, same type of heroine and both had similar conflicts as Ana and Christian (the Fifty H/h) had. Again, as in the Fifty books, the thoughts and actions of the H/h are in total contradiction to what we’re expected to believe about them. For example, despite the repeated references to his need for sexual control, Gideon is *not* a dominant. And sadly, as in the Fifty books, Eva, the heroine in this story, has completely emasculated him, in my opinion. I do not find anything about that appealing in any way, shape or form – and wouldn’t regardless of whether or not I’d read Fifty. Another issue I have with this story is a sex scene towards the end that just didn't add up. To avoid spoilers I won't go into details, but will just say it was too soon, too wrong for their circumstances, and not sexy considering said circumstances.

I’ve had the pleasure of reading a couple of Sylvia Day’s other books and I know she’s a talented author, capable of creating her own unique worlds and characters. Unfortunately, I found Bared to You to be so similar to Fifty Shades of Grey that rather than enjoy this story, I kept being distracted and annoyed by the similarities.

The bottom line: The most disappointing part of this story is that I know what Sylvia Day is capable of, and it's better than this. It's almost as though she and her friends were sitting around bashing Fifty and someone dared her to write the same story, but better. Well, it's the same story, just not 'better.'

Breakdown:

Originality - 1
Writing - 4
Sex - 3
Hero - 3
Heroine - 2
Overall - 2.6 rounded to 3 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bared to You.

05/01/2013 marked as: own-have-read

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Oh, wait, Joey W. Hill will write some interesting stories as well. Do you remember...Max...? YUM!

MsRomanticReads Yes, I was one of them. And I do like your review considering I did hit the "like" button.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I've been debating if I'll continue or not, Diana. If I do it'll be to see Cary get fed his balls for the way he treated Trey. If I find out through reviews that he doesn't, I won't keep reading. LOL!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Baba, I'm dying for Sam's book! Xavier's is coming out in August, then CS will work on Sam. Or Sam'll work on CS ;)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Michelle wrote: "Yes, I was one of them. And I do like your review considering I did hit the "like" button."

Thanks for that, Michelle :) I don't follow fanfic so I hadn't heard of MotU, but it seems like I'm one of the few people on the planet who didn't read it! LOL!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Baba wrote: "Oh, wait, Joey W. Hill will write some interesting stories as well. Do you remember...Max...? YUM!"

Oh, I love her stories!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Baba, I'm dying for Sam's book! Xavier's is coming out in August, then CS will work on Sam. Or Sam'll work on CS ;)"

Oh, yes, Sam will work on CS. LOL

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Diana~ wrote: "really liked your honesty in this review, Dhes! "

Thanks, girl. I appreciate that!

message 59: by Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter (last edited Jun 15, 2012 02:49PM) (new) - added it

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter I don't follow fanfic so I hadn't heard of MotU, but it seems like I'm one of the few people on the planet who didn't read it! LOL!

Never heard of it and never read it either, Dhes.

MsRomanticReads UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I don't follow fanfic so I hadn't heard of MotU, but it s..."

LOL! You've read 50 so you haven't missed out on anything.

Diana~ UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I've been debating if I'll continue or not, Diana. If I do it'll be to see Cary get fed his balls for the way he treated Trey. If I find out through reviews that he doesn't, I won't keep reading. LOL!"

That's great to here! Because you're right, I'm definitely really intrigued about Eva's roommate, Cary, and why he keeps on treating those that he loves like that. Hopefully Ms. Day will give us an answer to that question.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Yep! What makes a man who has so much act that way??

message 63: by Jill (last edited Jun 15, 2012 04:26PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill Great review, Dhes! And I really didn't like this book much.

I haven't read FSoG but have heard enough about it that a lot of readers are saying - It's almost as though she and her friends were sitting around bashing Fifty and someone dared her to write the same story, but better.

message 64: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Jun 15, 2012 04:28PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Jill! I hadn't read reviews before reading this book, so I honestly thought, based on the ratings and friends recommendations, that it was just me. I'm glad to hear that I am not alone.

Kristen Nice and honest review, Dhes.

message 67: by Diana (new) - rated it 1 star

Diana Agree with your review and you are ever so much more tactful than I am. :) I read Day's book before the Fifty books. I finished it and scratched my head trying to figure out why Day's book was "better." I thought it as a soulless copy of James' raucous books. Day may be a better technical writer but I'm looking for charm and raw emotion, not a formulaic, technically correct story that someone else has already told with heart, soul, and humor.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Diana wrote: "but I'm looking for charm and raw emotion, not a formulaic, technically correct story that someone else has already told with heart, soul, and humor. "

Ah, a woman after my own heart. I wrote this in a review recently:

Well, when I sit down to read a book and escape the crap that comes with real life, it's not the properly placed semi colon or comma that makes me sigh, nor is it the perfectly structured sentence that brings tears to my eyes, it's the amazing characters, the characters who stop being just words on the page and become living, breathing people... their lives, their stories... those are the things that make me content. Happy.

Give me a beautifully told story over a perfectly structured sentence, any day!

Thank you, Diana!

KatLynne Fantastic review dear friend! I'm sorry this one didn't work for you and I enjoyed reading your comments.

But holey-moley, I loved this one...even better for me than Fifty:) I think my Ho'ugar is showing..LOL

And I know I am repeating myself, but I find it utterly fascinating how each of us take away something different from the books we read.

I hope your next read is a great one sweet friend!

♥Hugs♥

message 70: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Thanks, Jill! I hadn't read reviews before reading this book, so I honestly thought, based on the ratings and friends recommendations, that it was just me. I'm glad to hear that I am not alone."

Well there's about 4 or 5 of us that didn't like this book, Dhes! Lol! Most readers do and most of our friends. I didn't read reviews either before reading this book. I never do if I'm going to review a book.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish KatLynne wrote: "Fantastic review dear friend! I'm sorry this one didn't work for you and I enjoyed reading your comments."

Thanks, Kat! I'm glad that we all don't love the same things. The world would be a boring place if we did.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Jill wrote: "I didn't read reviews either before reading this book. I never do if I'm going to review a book. "

That's me, too. In the past... year or so... I stopped reading them ahead of time. I find that if someone doesn't like a certain aspect of a story, it often skews my own feelings, too. Something that might have gone under the radar for me and been okay can end up being an issue for me when I hear about it before reading the book.

So based on the overall rating, I thought everyone loved this one.

Searock Hmmm. Y'all are making me consider the following possibility...

I may have enjoyed this book so much because it was a way of re-experiencing the Fifty series again (or something very much like it) but in a new way, with better writing and a more cohesive structure. I'm suddenly not sure I would have found it such a standout if I hadn't read and loved Fifty first.
I think my Fifty cup o' love may have runneth over onto this one.

Those who didn't love Fifty or didn't read it first seemed to respond more meh about it. I wonder if I would have been more meh too?

message 74: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Ooooh, do tell?? LOL!"

Across my Knee The Delights of Spanking by Various

Kelly Wonderful review, Dhes, and I totally agree with your opinion on this book. Thought I was the only one who didn't care for it. :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Kelly!

Nope, from the comments I got here, we were definitely not alone!!!

Kelly Well, we can be alone together then! lol!!!

message 78: by Shawna (last edited Sep 22, 2012 10:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shawna Great review, Dhes! Glad I'm not the only one who found this a bit lackluster. I liked it, but just wasn't as blown away as so many others.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Shawna! Lackluster is the perfect word. Unmemorable, ho-hum and 'meh' are other words (or noises) I'd use.

figuranta❤️addicted❤️to❤️books❤️ good review Dhes i felt the same so similar 2 fiftyshades

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, figuranta! I hear book 2 is much better and more unique.

figuranta❤️addicted❤️to❤️books❤️ well i brought them 2day as my colleague at work drove me crazy bout this books they were on offer so i thought 2 myself wot the heck just bout 2 start the 2 one

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Let me know what you think!

message 84: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly I was so far removed from Fifty that I loved the book. I do understand your Review and I love her Historicals. My hope would be that people would read this before Fifty or just skip Fifty. But. We know everyone and I mean everyone has been saturated with Ana and Christian.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I'm glad to hear that, that you loved it Kelly. I've also heard that the next book is so, so good. I've decided to wait awhile before reading it, though, to give myself Fifty Shades of a break!

message 86: by Tria (new) - added it

Tria *cough* Might be a bit late for this thread, but you ladies should take a look at the work of Amy Valenti... (and her writing quality is worlds better than EL James - Day's book I have not read & won't be.)

Re. the above discussion, 50 Shades was originally "human AU (alternate universe)" fanfic for Twilight, for those who don't know.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Hey, Tria! I didn't get notification of your comment, sorry! I know Amy, and will definitely check out her writing. I'm assuming its not another Fifty knock off?

Christy You eloquently summed up some of my problems with this book.. Thanks for the review.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Cmblaker wrote: "You eloquently summed up some of my problems with this book.. Thanks for the review."

Thank YOU!

Sunnie Stonelake I feel the exact same way about this book as you

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Sunnie wrote: "I feel the exact same way about this book as you"

Apparently, a lot of people do!

Jessie If you want to read a series that is pretty much the SAME as FSOG just different character Names, read "Up in the Air" series by R.K. Lilley. I didnt think that Bared to you was too too similar, besides the concept. But these books!.....wow same story..

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Jessie. I'll be sure to avoid them. I'm sorry, but I'm fifty kinds of disgusted by the copycats.

Jessie UniquelyMoi *Dhestiny* BlithelyBookish wrote: "Thanks, Jessie. I'll be sure to avoid them. I'm sorry, but I'm fifty kinds of disgusted by the copycats."
LOL.. well if you were by Bared to You, you will flip your sht with this series! I like them. Im reading all three, but my oh my.. I would be mad if I was the author of FSOG.. what a copycat! Even certain phrases were said in these books! shame shame..

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish LOL! Good to know. Again, I'll avoid them I don't need my $hit flipped right now.

K❤Books I felt the same until I read the next book Reflected in You! Sylvia Day really pulls everything together in that book which makes Bared to You a 5 star book. Don't give up on Gideon or Eva until you know where they are headed and why.....my jaw dropped at the end of that book. Cannot wait for book 3!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Kelly, but I'm going to pass. I can't take anymore 50 spinoffs.

This book was very frustrating. Some things I didn't even mention were the fact this could have been a standalone, everything wrapped up, but instead, we ended up with more drama and an excuse to write a second and a third book.

Maybe someday when the sour taste has left my mouth, but it'll be awhile.

Leonore I think your review is great and I mostly do agree with it except the fact that Fifty Shades of Grey's story is also not "a new one". It's a Twilight fanfiction and the stories are 100 percent similiar except the sex thing of course. So I think saying that Sylvia Day only copied the storie is in my opinion a little harsh when E.L. James did the same thing.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Leonie wrote: "So I think saying that Sylvia Day only copied the storie is in my opinion a little harsh when E.L. James did the same thing."

See, I didn't see any Twilight similarities, Leonie. But even the knowledge that E.L James did build her story around the Twilight world has bothered me from the start.

Soooooooooo, while you feel my comment was harsh, you're wrong if you think I'm okay with what E.L. James did. I'm not. Nor am I sure how she's been able to get away with it.

Bottom line - I respect your opinion but I stand by my comments in my review.

Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover So agree! Awesome review UM:)