Amy's Reviews > He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys

He's Just Not That Into You by Greg Behrendt

Feb 06, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction

****Update***** No I didn't read the book again but I should have read my review last week. So I went to see the movie tonight. It was awesome! I wish I had seen the movie oh maybe a month or so ago, but then I wouldn't have learned what I needed to know. So now I know hope is restored and I am moving forward. P.S. this movie is good for a laugh, even if you are married. But I don't see the point in going to see it if you are married. Hmmm

Those of you that are married aren't you so grateful. You can laugh at me and say I am so glad I am not there anymore. I even laugh at myself, it is the only way to get through sometimes.

I sort of read the book,I skipped a lot for example the chapters "He is just not that into you if he only wants to see you when he is drunk", and "He is just not that into you if he is not having sex with you", etc. I really didn't like most of the book, much of it didn't apply. Greg Behrendt has a vulgar mouth and is the epitomy of the stereo-typical guy. However he makes some good points and that is why I kept reading.

I did have some small aha's. I will not be calling guys and making excuses or rationalizing their behavior. There is not time for that. Nor do I want someone who is not 100% committed and willing to put forth the effort to have a relationship with me. Some of the info was a little freeing. I have heard various good men say that sometimes men need a little encouragement from women. I don't think that is true. Flirting yes, but pursuing no, I guess it depends on what they mean by encouragement. Greg says that men like to do the pursuing and they know how and if they are interested in you they will pursue. He is also a believer in dating not hanging out, which I completly agree with. He tries to uplift women telling them how "foxy" and awesome they are, I wanted to throw the book at him. Women are not sex objects, yes men tend to see them that way but that is not what makes us awesome. In that regard I am thankful for my religious beliefs. In those I can truly know what it means to be a woman.

The books is mostly questions and answers. Women write in their love situations and Greg basically tells all the women that the guy is really not interested. As I am reading the situations I laugh because some of the situations are so obvious. Why do we make excuses for these men. Are we really that afraid of being alone. So I am thinking that from the outside you can see more clearly. It is when you are in the situation that sometimes we are totally stupid when it comes to guys. Either that or the women that wrote to him are just in denial. In some ways it was funny. Most of it was just plain annoying.

I do have to say in some ways I wish I had been given this insigt a long time ago. I am grateful to have it now, and I will use it. Oh and if I get stupid will ya'll please remind me of that.

And Emily thanks, what I got from the book was worth it. No more wondering why the guys ask for a number when they really don't intend to call. I think we all know deep down. Honestly I wasn't that interested in him. That is probably why I said I was picky and controlling etc. Sometimes people just do strange things, myself included.

The end.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read He's Just Not That Into You.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emily Amy. This is the single most life-changing book I have ever read.

Emily I read 'The Rules' which I thought was creepy and manipulative. This book is totally liberating and empowering.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy Ok so I was really kidding about reading this book. Does it really have any enlightening qualities? If so or even if it is a good laugh I may have to check it out. I did hear the author a couple of times on talk shows. What he said sounded pretty good. That is why I remembered the title. What are "The Rules" is that another book?

Emily "The Rules" is another relationship (how-to-catch-a-man-because-you-are-worthless-without-one) book that came out a few years before this one did. It's good for a laugh, but I thought it was crappy advice. And creepy and pitiful and desperate.

This book has the attitude of "You are totally freakin' awesome! Live your awesome life! Don't forget to live your life just waiting for a dude to think you are awesome!"

I clung to a "boyfriend" for YEARS. This book made me re-evaluate things and get the heck outta there. He wasn't necessarily a bad guy, he just was holding me back (i.e. ignoring me...and that made me love him more. Yes, I was DUMB!) Anyways, I loved this book and I sincerely believe from the bottom of my heart that this book is part of the reason that I was able to meet Andy and part of the reason that he fell in love with me.

Seriously. I LOVE THIS BOOK.

Amen.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy Ok if you were able to meet Andy because of this book then it is definatley worth a read. My brother gave me a relationship book as a joke for my b-day. It is one that I have seen at Deseret Book and thought "Hmm... that looks kindof funny and maybe some good pointers." So when he bought it for me (retaliation from a previous gift I gave him) I thought "Ok, maybe it is worth a read." I can't get into it. I think we all need to realize how awesome we are married or not (even if we serve potatoe chips from a bag). So I think I will have to check this one out. Thanks.

Emily Ok, yeah, I forgot about the drunk/sex chapters. Those weren't really applicable. :)

message 7: by Amy (last edited Sep 25, 2008 09:18AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy Ok Ok so I thought I learned my lesson, or a lesson? Something? Well another guy asked for my number. I hesitated then gave it to him later. Number two guy to not call. Which is why I joked about reading this book in the first place.

I was really bugged, not that I was really that interested in him but why do you ask for a number if you are not planning on calling. So a week later my other side decided to email him. I asked him if he typically asks for numbers and then neglects to call. Well I got a phone call the next night. It wasn't a bad call but hmmm. Actually it was bad. I am pretty sure he was multi tasking and when I teased him about it he said he just takes a long time processing info. Ok the human brain can think up to 500 words per minute. I don't buy it. So after a really slow conversation in which he calls his ex a few nice words, and why I didn't say I have to go after 5 min. I don't know, he and I finally say goodbye. In the middle of the conversation I get a txt message, I didn't look at it of course until after I hung up with him. Ok so the txt was from him. So I am thinking, was he trying to txt message someone else and sent one to me by mistake. So of corse I give him a bad time about it, and we end up texting for the next hour which is sad because it was probably faster than our phone conversation. Ha Ha. This will go down in my Online dating book. So I learned that if they don't call it is probably a very very good thing.:-)