Lady Lioness's Reviews > Playing the Game

Playing the Game by Stephanie Queen

Sep 07, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: saw-in-rt-book-reviews-mag, genre-fiction, genre-contemporary-romance, read-september-2012, subgenre-sports, ebook
Read from September 01 to 07, 2012 , read count: 1

I believed I added this to my TBR because the hero is a big-shot basketball player and I like sport romances. I know I started reading it on my e-reader because the cover confused me and I thought it was a sci-fic type romance.

I'm tempted not to rate this one because this was not my cup of tea. There was a lot of angst and flawed characters. Both the hero and heroine came off as majorly selfish. I rather want Jane L of Dear Author to read this now, just to get her take on the last courtroom scene. I just can't buy that it would actually happen in reality or that it would be a legitimate defense. However, there were few typos and, for the most part, the writing was decent.

The heck with it, I'm giving it three stars because I genuinely don't think I'd be alone in finding the main couple difficult to like. The hero makes you question at times if he even loves his daughter and the heroine uses men, although she never sets out to do so with bad intentions. In addition, while there was interesting bits about how the press can impact public opinion in relation to sport figures & other celebrities, there was a lot of talk about basketball, but not a lot of playing.

In conclusion, if you are looking for a more angsty book that is light on the romance with 'real' people, this is a book for you. Otherwise, try Ellen Hartman's The Long Shot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing the Game.