Lawrence's Reviews > UnWholly

UnWholly by Neal Shusterman

Mar 01, 13

bookshelves: young-adult, dystopia, sci-fi
Read in October, 2012

This was an enormous disappointment for me. I had really waited for about a year for this one to come out, and read it within a few weeks of it's release. Maybe my expectations were too high? Or maybe the author was just phoning it in on this one.

Something which struck me immediately was that the first chapter summarizes this hero-esque unwind and his brush-with cum escape-from the cops, life on the run, and then winding up at the graveyard. In the first book, that took two thirds of the book, and was very detailed and interesting and involved developing characters and relationships. In this book, it's simply a chess move: setting up the board for later action.

And that's what makes this book disappointing - the conflicts appear contrived right from the start with these magically placed - or literally manufactured, even - people, and there is no actual character development.

And it continues to get worse until the final scene in which it becomes obvious that this book is a holding action for some grander battle or comeuppance that clearly is about to happen - just after the final page.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read UnWholly.