Jennifer's Reviews > The Witness

The Witness by Nora Roberts

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fiction, romance, suspense
Read in April, 2012

For the most part, I always know what to expect with Nora Roberts' romance thrillers. She has a strong and independent heroine, a strong and reliable hero, and a fairly compelling plotline with unique side characters and love-to-hate villains. This latest installment had all of that, and a bit more, but was different from her usual romance thrillers. First, the pacing felt right in place with the setting of the novel, which takes place in the sleepy town of a small town in the Ozarks of Arkansas. Second, while the villain is present in the novel, it's the secondary villain that is more prominent. The primary antagonist does not play a huge, direct role in the book after the initial encounter. I found this interesting since this is different from Roberts' previous books. Third, and perhaps the reason why I enjoyed this book more than the others, is her heroine, Abigail. Like all the other heroines in her book, Abigail is strong and independent with a kind and caring nature. However, unlike her other heroines, Abigail is much more different. She certainly was very capable, but also had many vulnerabilities. In other words, she was a puzzle. I loved her quirkiness and found her absolutely endearing, especially in the way she spoke.

I was a bit disappointed that Nora Roberts didn't go much into how the witness protection program really works, as well as a bit skeptical about all the things that Abigail could supposedly do. Abigail's quirky personality made up for it though, so all in all, I enjoyed the book more than I thought I would. Overall rating is a 3.5 out of 5.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witness.