Audra Marvin's Reviews > Carrie

Carrie by Stephen King

Apr 23, 12

Read in April, 2012

Everyone knows how this story ends, but does anyone know how it starts? I didn't. So, since Stephen King blew me away with his newest book earlier this year, I thought I'd check out one of his oldest. That, and, I've kinda been on a horror kick lately on Netflix, so I thought I'd extend it to literature and see what happened.

What happened is that I loved this book. It is written with a different style than the other King stuff I've read, and the fact that it's an early work of his gives it kind of a vintage feel. Carrie's tragic story is told from multiple perspectives over the course of the book, but no matter whose perspective you're in, it's difficult as the reader to feel anything more than deep pity for Carrie and horror at the life she's been subjected to, both by her misguided and zealously religious mother and her antagonistic peers.

Anyone who can remember high school should read this book. It's unsettling how easy it is to identify with Carrie's tormentors, at times. Stephen King is truly a literary master.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carrie.