Madiooch's Reviews > Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

Wicked by Gregory Maguire

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: grown_up_stories, 3-star-books
Read in February, 2011

I picked up this book because I was going to see the Broadway play and I am the type of person who likes to read the story so that I can understand the movie or the play.
That being said, if you are going to read this book because you are either going to see the show or have seen the show, don't. As I found out, the Broadway depiction is loosely based on this book, taking from it general ideas and only major plot lines.
The book is a goodread,(haha, pun intended!!!) but my only complaint is that it was REALLY LONG! It took me at least 3 months to finish this book, which personally, is a very long time for any book.
Maguire tries, and succeeds, to describe an entirely new world in a way that his readers will understand it. My opinion is that he spent so much time setting up the back story that he neglected the actual plot line in the story. I felt like I was reading a nonfiction political book, and this book definitely had it's dull points.
After I have finished the book, I can say that it was actually a good story. I also find that I cant really remember the long boring parts, just the main story line. I would advise people who are looking for an easy read or are just not willing to put in the effort to read a long book to just look up the summary. You have to really want to put the in time and effort to be able to enjoy this book, but I think everyone who does successfully complete this book will be able to find some aspect that they really like and enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked.