Jessica Scranton's Reviews > How Rocket Learned to Read

How Rocket Learned to Read by Tad Hills

7519749
Apr 23, 2012

bookshelves: eced221

This story was adorable. It is about a dog named Rocket who falls asleep under a sign (that he cannot read) that says “class starts today.” Soon a little yellow bird, which ends up being Rocket’s teacher wakes him up and shows him the sign.
This book is for younger children. In regards to age, the book is developed for younger readers. The characters were kept to a minimum. The two main characters were Rocket and Little Bird. The illustrations really contributed to the characters and the plot of the story. They were fun and vibrant and really captured the attention of the reader. The author even used words in his illustrations and pictures by making the word the picture. I thought the pictures really helped the book overall. Because it is for young readers the illustrations are crucial for capturing the attention of the readers.
This book would be great in the classroom for younger readers. I know I struggled to read as a child so this book is very relatable for children. It can be used in a reading lesson and to help learn the alphabet. I would definitely recommend this book for a classroom or even to parents to read to their children starting school.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Rocket Learned to Read.