Jeanette "Astute Crabbist"'s Reviews > The Inquisitor

The Inquisitor by Mark  Allen Smith

May 01, 12

bookshelves: all-fiction, four-star-fiction, suspense-thriller
Read in April, 2012

Geiger is a torture artist, but he prefers to call his work "information retrieval." He has a special gift in that he can always tell when someone is lying. He also has a soft spot for kids, but he's not aware of how soft that spot is because he has never hung out with any kids. When twelve-year-old Ezra appears in Geiger's "studio," we begin to see a side of Geiger no one knew existed -- including Geiger himself.

The Inquisitor is one darned good debut thriller. Mark Allen Smith has some years of experience in the film and TV industries, so he's got a handle on dialogue, setting up scenes, and creating a smooth story flow.

Given the subject matter, the story isn't particularly high on the gruesome scale. There are some pretty squinky spots in the torture scenes, so take heed, thou of delicate constitution.

Best things about Geiger:

1) He has no TV in his home.
2) He doesn't eat garbage food. His first visit to a Burger King is a bewildering experience.

Worst things about Geiger:

1)Well....he tortures people.
2)Recovered memories. This was the one hokey thing in the story. Don't let it get to you. Give a hearty scoff and move on.

Best line in the book: "What's a Cobb salad?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inquisitor.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Julie I'm intrigued!

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Prior to your reading of The Hunger Games, I would have steered you away from this. Now I know better. ;-)

Julie It's my dark and craven side. I have one. But only if I crane my next around to see in the mirror ;-)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Heh heh. We read these things so we can feel like we're really not so dark as all that, by comparison. Or is it so we can get ideas? :-0

message 5: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Haha, "information retrieval"....right

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" He could do well working for the govt. thinking up euphemisms. :-)

Tajma I'm on the list for this one from the library. Can't wait!!!

message 8: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Jeanette wrote: "He could do well working for the govt. thinking up euphemisms. :-)"

Oh, they don't need any help there! But, hey, what's one more? :)

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol Sounds gruesome but you know how I love these books.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Carol wrote: "Sounds gruesome but you know how I love these books."

No, I did not know that about you, Carol. Now I do. There's some what does, and some what doesn't. Good to know.