Ryan Grooms's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Jul 23, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, favorites, romance, read-2012, young-adult, bought-2012
Read from May 15 to 21, 2012

This was far beyond all my expectations. I am a huge, huge Lauren Oliver fan and she just continues delivering a love story unlike any other. There was something about how Lena and Alex just seem to fit together that makes the whole story take your breath away, page after page.

The funny thing is, when I started the book I sat down and was thinking to myself, what would have to happen to cause this to actually become reality? There wasn’t anything I could think of, aside some random crazed scientist proclaiming that Love was worse than AIDS or some serious contagious treachery against all humanity. However, the reality was I bought into the world. This world where people were fake, no one cared or loved one another after their “cure.”

Lena’s transformation through the book, going from wanting the procedure; even counting down the days until her procedure, to going to wanting nothing more than to sit in the little abandoned broken down with Alex next to her. The transformation was the book, the love story and the entirety brought me so close to them that in the end I wanted to throw the book in anger. I was actually saddened to see this book end, and well the ending in general.

The reason I didn’t give this book a 4 instead of a 5 was the enduring fact that some of the relationship between Alex and Lena seem a bit stretched, and not natural. How they go about struggling to understand what is real and what is real in this dystopian novel. The other issue I had was that Lena was a true romantic, she’s weak and so emotional that I almost wanted to read more on Hana then on Lena. These were the major flaws of the book, and when the end came and went I was okay with them, they weren’t too glaringly wrong for me to enjoy the book and not want to put it down.

I wish Lauren Oliver the best and I do have Pandemonium and Before I Fall coming up in the future, but this book falls in place with how good of an author she is. I just hope she does decide to keep the damn love triangle out of her work. I can’t wait to get to Pandemonium, and then to Requiem in the future.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

Quotes Ryan Liked

Lauren Oliver
“I love you. Remember. They cannot take it”

Lauren Oliver
“It's so strange how life works: You want something and you wait and wait and feel like it's taking forever to come. Then it happens and it's over and all you want to do is curl back up in that moment before things changed.”

Lauren Oliver
“You can't be happy unless you're unhappy sometimes".”

Lauren Oliver
“I guess that’s just part of loving people: You have to give things up. Sometimes you even have to give them up.”

Lauren Oliver
“I know that the whole point—the only point—is to
find the things that matter, and hold on to them, and fight for them, and refuse to
let them go.”

Lauren Oliver
“Love: a single word, a wispy thing, a word no bigger or longer than an edge. That's what it is: an edge; a razor. It draws up through the center of your life, cutting everything in two. Before and after. The rest of the world falls away on either side.”

Lauren Oliver
“I run for I don't know how long. Hours, maybe, or days. Alex told me to run. So I run. You have to understand. I am no one special. I am just a single girl. I am five feet two inches tall and I am in-between in every way. But I have a secret. You can build walls all the way to the sky and I will find a way to fly above them. You can try to pin me down with a hundred thousand arms, but I will find a way to resist. And there are many of us out there, more than you think. People who refuse to stop believing. People who refuse to come to earth. People who love in a world without walls, people who love into hate, into refusal, against hope,and without fear. I love you. Remember. They cannot take it.”

Lauren Oliver
“Mama, Mama, help me get home
I'm out in the woods, I am out on my own.
I found me a werewolf, a nasty old mutt
It showed me its teeth and went straight for my gut.

Mama, Mama, help me get home
I'm out in the woods, I am out on my own.
I was stopped by a vampire, a rotting old wreck
It showed me its teeth and went straight for my neck.

Mama, Mama, put me to bed
I won't make it home, I'm already half-dead.
I met an Invalid, and fell for his art
He showed me his smile, and went straight for my heart.

-From "A Child's Walk Home," Nursery Rhymes and Folk Tales”

05/21/2012 page 251