Brandon Hanberry's Reviews > Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

M 50x66
Apr 24, 12

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood is a fascinating book that grants its readers access to the life and times of an Islamic young girl who is struggling with the political and gender views of her time. It depicts the events in her life from the ages six to fourteen in a seemingly comedic way, due to the comic strip style writing used throughout the memoir. Marjane Satrapi had a rather tough childhood growing up during the Islamic Revolution days. During my readings of this book I notice a few key points in the book. First, we see Marjane’s deep respect and envy of her parental guardians. She was so ready to grow up, so willing to protest in the demonstrations that she would frequently hear her mother and father discussing. Second, I noticed how dark and secluded she seemed from her peers and to certain extents society. One may have realized that she often ostracized herself from others beside her close relatives. Next thing I picked up on was the amount of violence that she had obtained knowledge of. I can recall while I was reading the scene where she verbally illustrated the torture and murder of her family member. It took me a while to actually get to the actual words on the page because I was so drawn to the pictures that Marjane Satrapi placed in her memoir. It is amazing to me how she went through so much yet she still has the strength and impeccable sense of humor to write about her pain and childhood hardship she has encountered. This was a great book. It really opened my eyes to the actual events that took place during the Islamic revolution. I would definitely recommend this book. It is an easy read and you will learn a lot about the culture.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persepolis.