Ashley's Reviews > The Music of Dolphins

Apr 23, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: realistic-fiction
Read in April, 2012

I did not like this book at all. There are soooo many things wrong with this book. I only read this book because I participated in a reading team competition and this was one of the required books.

First, this book was designed for two-year-olds. I was shocked that it was chosen for a reading team competition. The font was huge and it was about triple spaced. Also, there was a poor use of grammar and sentence structure. The book was told through the eyes of Mila, the main character, and she talked as thought she just learned how to speak. All of the sentences were in complete and the author NEVER used quotation marks. The book was written like this... 'Doctor said Mila did well with therapy. I happy when Doctor tells me I do good.' When I was reading this book, I felt that I was too mature to read this book. i did not want to finish this book.

In addition, the book lacked a set plot. After researchers rescued Mila from a deserted island, the book took us through the life of Mila and how she saw the world through her own eyes. The book talked about Mila meeting a new friend, developing new emotions, and learning in therapy. As i have said, the book was random and there was no clear plot. In addition, Mila eventually went back to sea to live on the deserted island with the dolphins. This event seemed to happen suddenly.

Lastly, there was no character development. Since the story was told through the eyes of Mila, there was a lack of adequate adjectives. I could not picture the characters' physical appearances or there outward personalities. Also, the book was so short that there was not enough time for character development.

I hated this book and would not recommend this book to anyone! It would be a waist of their time if they read it!

(counts as my sixth chapter book choice)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Music of Dolphins.

JoJo The book is about a young woman who is just learning English, and is intended to convey her tenious grasp of the language, hence the large fonts and inproper grammer. If you want to be critical of grammar, perhaps you should use spell check yourself.

Erica Of course Mila talks as if she's just learned how to speak. That's because she HAS. And your review looks like a five paragraph essay with all the "in additions" and "lastly" business. We know it's "in addition". We read the last paragraph. So clearly, you are a good language arts student who writes excellent essays. Now learn how to write a review. And please, check your own writing for typos before you publish it. That's why they have a preview button.

Bentoboxcreature22 The book was written like that on purpose. She HAD just learned how to speak! How did you not grasp that? And some of the best books I have read don't use quotation marks, including The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake and How I Live Now. And how can you say there was no character development? She utterly changed! Maybe not on the outside, but on the inside, she went through a total transformation! She started out in a dolphin's mindset, and she stayed with those beliefs, but she began to forget things and stopped understanding the dolphins' way of life as she got more and more integrated in human culture. The plot was subtle, but it was most definitely there. It was all about Mila discovering the human world and finding her place. Everything you say is wrong with this book is just an example of stylized writing. I am not trying to attack you, and I respect that everyone has their opinions, but you did not need to be so disrespectful.

message 4: by Nia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nia Ariel Well, maybe if you'd bothered to actually read the book, then you would have seen that Mila actually does change, and the writing does mature a lot.