brian 's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

193310
Apr 23, 12

i'm gonna dangle some bait here:

catching fire is the sloppy follow-up to hunger games, which seems to have been written in the frenzied fever of the author's realization that she had a megahit on her hands. the pacing is way off, the plotting is mechanical, the characterization is lazy, and the 'game' section is just lame. and the big reaping twist at the mid-point? it just sits there. it just happens and we're rushed in, totally pushing aside anything genuinely interesting for the sake of plot! plot! plot!

it's actually kind of a shame b/c collins is terrific at coming up with story & plot elements, she's just kinda inept at assembling and executing 'em. yeah, i'm in the minority in this opinion... but i'm right.

aight.
chum in the water for my favorite type of goodreaders.
y'know who i'm talking about: those weirdos (if you're over the age of 17, i wonder... who the hell are you? i mean, really?) who love some wildly popular book and get all bent out of shape if someone - anyone! - disagrees with 'em, and shits semi-coherent & badly-worded snark all over the place. they've gotta be the same people who also cram political sites full of this kinda shit:

'obama is way worse then bush! wait till he takes away you're right to bare arms!!!'

don't ya think?

well, (as if you didn't see this coming), on to book 3.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

Jason Don't lie, you loved it. You just want to incite the young'ins...

Camille Uh oh. If this is how you feel about book 2, you're really going to hate book 3.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't really like this book either. I think it's like most other 2nd books in a trilogy.

Karin I really liked The Hunger Games but was a little disappointed with the sequel - seems like it was written in a hurry to cash in on the popularity

message 5: by M.T. (new)

M.T. Dahl As far as reviews go there is the element of the burgeoning self-pubbing indie etc authors who can't wait to make their mark in the YA world or at least make inroads by association - so of course, hell yeah - five stars, and on to the next blog trail INCREDIBLE YA GIVEAWAY CONTEST. etc etc. I'm half way through and keep wishing someone else had written it.

Michelle I thought it was more of a segue to the third book, which I have yet to read so I might be wrong.

message 7: by M.T. (new)

M.T. Dahl Michelle wrote: "I thought it was more of a segue to the third book, which I have yet to read so I might be wrong."

It feels like The Hunger Games is one book published in three volumes like Lord of the Rings.

Zachary Adams The whole series is an epic fail to me in comparison to the Underland Chronicles! Sorry but it is the utter truth! Epic FAIL.

Carol All I'm going to say is YEP, YOU'RE IN THE MINORITY! :)

message 10: by Emmma (new)

Emmma i agree!!

Molly I think it carries on the series on beautifully! But like someone said, if that's how you feel, you really are going to hate the third one!

Cat I think it was an ok short read...... Not the best tho

Destiny I thought, after reading the hubger games, that there is no way that the sequel could get any better than this.but OH MY MY! was i wrong!
Unlike you, I LOVED CATCHING FIRE, and even mockingjay!
But hey, everyone has a right to have an opinion.

Claire Agree completely.

message 15: by Joel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joel K this book is so good loved it!!!

Atlantis I understand your meanings behind what you're saying but in a way I disagree. I don't believe any of it was rushed or lazy or lame. It all tied together. Having the games set up as a clock was very clever and with all the people and everything just worked together. It seemed like she put a lot of effort and time in writing and completing this amazing book. It has any sensory details and it kept me interested and made me what to read even more. I believe that's what a good book should do. Only great authors could do tat and Collins for sure did.

message 17: by Cici (new)

Cici I disagree too i liked the series i think she should never change it.

Tosin I agree the mid point twist is rush, they sweep it away in a few lines but the film makes up for it in a way I guess

I love dogs :¬{) THIS WAS AN AMAZING BOOK!!!!!!!!!

Brianna lillie shut up!!!!!!!!! i mean it

Nirvana I disagree. Catching Fire was incredible, and you are definitely in the minority with this review.

And the fact that you failed to express your opinion with proper grammer and capitalization. It's actually *your* not *you're*and thisnis one of the countless mistakes I could point out.

Nirvana You think that the game aection was lame, huh? What will it take to impress you, your Royal Highness? The clock was ingenious and you know it.

The pacing of the book was perfect. Every chaptr moves the story in some way, and leaves us begging for more.

I could go and on, but I'll stop here.

p.s CATCHING FIRE WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! ^^ <3