The Reading List (Megan)'s Reviews > Cursed

Cursed by S.A. Archer

Sep 07, 12

Recommended to The Reading List by: Received copy from author for review
Read from April 23 to May 01, 2012

Summary:

When your best friend is a vampire there's very little that should shock you. London Eyer thought she knew everything there was to know about the supernatural, until she meets her friend Selena's latest meal, Rico. Vampires enjoy the taste of fey blood. It's like a drug to them and Selena is no exception.

Unknown to London, Rico is a fey and as a trade off for feeding from him, Selena offers London's services to Rico; but Rico is a Sidhe and a very powerful one. When he realizes that she is the one responsible for the capture of two changelings (half fey/half human) Rico puts a curse on her and it's one that isn't so easily broken.

Now London must look for the changelings and get them to Rico before the curse can take its full effect. It's a race against time to end the curse before it turns deadly.

Review:

S.A. Archer's Cursed is the first book in Touched, one of three story arcs in The Sidhe series.
This novel was a bit more "paranormal romance" and had more "suggestive scenes" than what I would normally read... so, erm, there's that.

But there were enough plot twists and strong action sequences to balance out the romantic elements. I also read and enjoyed End of the World and Aftershock and was looking forward to reading the next installment in the series.

Despite the fact that Cursed is a novella, Archer does a good job of illustrating the world London lives in without over doing it or describing too much and somehow still giving the the reader enough information to paint their own mental image.

London was likable enough and she wasn't too unbelievable, despite being what I would call a "tough" character. I will admit that she is a bit typical of urban fantasy characters (ie. - private detective specializing in all things supernatural) there was still an element of vulnerability in London's personality that allowed the reader connect with her. Both London and Selena were interesting enough to make me want to pick up the next book.

What I love most about the series as a whole is that the novellas are short enough to read during a lunch break, but interesting enough for you to sit in one spot for an hour and read them all.

Rating: 4/5

Read this and other book reviews on my blog: http://readinglist-m.blogspot.com
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cursed.