Reader's Reviews > Skinny Dip

Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen

Jul 17, 07

bookshelves: reviewed, from_the_library

So I just finished Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen. I had read his Strip Tease and Lucky You a while ago, but forgot how funny he can be. While I look forward to reading more of his books, they certainly don't make me want to visit Florida anytime soon.

Strong women seem to be a theme in his work. It made me think of Maureen Dowd's essay in the NYT Magazine, "What's a Modern Girl to Do?". A rather rambling collection of her musings regarding feminism, post-feminism, the feminisation of feminism, and the back lash against feminism. Anyway...she quotes several single women in her article that talk about how Men are put off by strong, accomplished, powerful women (we assume these women are referring to themselves). Her sample of women, however, seem to include only those in the New York publishing scene. Draw your own conclusions.

Let me get back to my point. I am a big fan of strong, accomplished, powerful women (one in particular) and find it somewhat insulting that Maureen Dowd can claim all Men want to "marry down" based on her circle of feminine feminists.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skinny Dip.