Mark's Reviews > Dracula

Publisher:
Published In: San Francisco, CA
Date: 1897
Pgs:

Summary:

A dreary castle, blood-thirsty vampires, open graves at midnight, and other gothic touches fill this chilling tale about a young Englishman's confrontation with the evil Count Dracula. A horror romance as deathless as any vampire, the blood-curdling tale still continues to hold readers spellbound a century later.

Genre:
horror

Main Character:
You could make a case for this being an ensemble piece with Jonathan being the main character at the beginning, Van Helsing being the central character through the middle, and Mina becoming the main character through the later portions of the story.

Favorite Character:
Mina Harker

Least Favorite Character:
Van Helsing, largely due to the Yoda like way that Stoker had him speak to idiomatically show him as a Dutchman.

Favorite Scene:
Van Helsing’s scene in the tomb with the three brides...or the horsemen chasing the buggy with Dracula onboard at the climax.

Plot Holes/Out of Character:
After the long expository way that everything was done throughout the book, the trip of the vampire hunters from London to Varna is an eyeblink.

Last Page Sound:
This is such a period piece that if you didn’t go into it with an eye toward the literature of the era you couldn’t handle it.

Author Assessment:
I’ve never had the desire to read anything else by Stoker. Not sure if I’m up for re-reading this again at some point. For now, I’m finished with it and my old friends Bram.

Disposition of Book:
I liked it. As it is an e-book, I doubt I’ll be keeping it. I might drop it on one of my external drives to save just in case I change my mind in the future.

Why isn't there a screenplay?:
I’ve seen a bunch of interpretations that I’ve liked, but I can’t say that I’ve seen a definitive one yet.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dracula.

05/03/2012
4.0% "Chapter Two...first book I've read in the Kindle Cloud Reader on Google Chrome. Wish there was an easy way in the program to dim the background. I may be a Luddite, but I don't want this to supersede print. It's handy...and it's neat...but, it doesn't touch being able to hold a book in your hand.
I know...I know. I'm only getting a portion of the screen reader experience since I'm still reading it on a computer scr"
07/30/2012
6.0% "Reading a book on a computer screen is a new experience for me and I am very, VERY slow at it. I do love the story of Dracula though, so at least I can savor it in my slowness."
08/27/2012
10.0% "Love the scene in Dracula's castle when the brides attempt to take advantage of Harker."
10/13/2012
15.0% "Dracula's house guest and solicitor has discovered that he has been left behind. It takes a long time to get to this point in the novel, largely because of the style it is written in. But, if I remember correctly, the action does pick up from here. Left to the tender mercies of the Brides as Dracula leaves for England, Harker is about to try and climb down the outside of the locked castle."
10/25/2012
23.0% "Just read the account of the final voyage and wreck of the Demeter. Can't wait for the Viggo Mortensen movie about The Last Voyage of the Demeter. Shame they couldn't have gotten it out in time for Halloween this year."
12/17/2012
64.0% "The book is such a product of its times. The putting aside of Mina even though she was integral to what they learned and how they got to the point where they were, effectively sidelining her from their perspective, away from the danger. Though it does set up the twice-used damsel in distress trope for later in the story."
02/13/2013
81.0% "Modern sensibilities are damping my enthusiasm for this as I go through it. Mina went from a strong character before Lucy's death to a classic woman of that era where the men are men and the women need defending. Meh."
show 7 hidden updates…