Allyson's Reviews > Vegan Is Love: Having Heart and Taking Action

Vegan Is Love by Ruby Roth

Apr 23, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: no-words-to-describe-how-awful, first-reads-wins

** spoiler alert ** So, I was curious as how vegan lifestyle would be presented, so I entered to win the book through Goodreads giveaways. Horrible, awful, wish I could take it back, mistake. If I want my kids to be able to see a giraffe or a zebra, I'm not going to shell out $6000 to go to Africa, I'm going to spend $8 for a ticket to the zoo. I'm sorry if those animals are sad, sick and angry. It's cheaper than going to Africa. I need to protein, so I do eat meat, cheese and other dairy products. I can't eat peanuts all the time. And I think the aquarium has some of the neatest animals I'll never get a chance to see. There's no way I'm reading this book to my kids--I think it would terrify them and they wouldn't want to go anywhere or do anything anymore. It's going straight to the donate box....maybe even the garbage can.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vegan Is Love.

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt Um. You don't have to eat peanuts to get protein. Many, many plant-based foods contain much more beneficial protein than animal-based protein. Beans, vegetables, lentils, tofu, tempeh, just are a few more common.

message 2: by Breann (new)

Breann why is it necessary for your children to see a giraffe or a zebra? paying that $8 for a ticket is contributing to them suffering! there are other resources out there for children to learn about animals that are far more educational than zoos anyway! as for the comment about peanuts, I agree with what the first commenter said, there are TONS of other sources for protein out there that are far healthier than animal based protein. and if it would terrify your kids, why are you letting them put it into their bodies in the first place?

Brittany Lynn What an ignorant review

message 4: by Cristina (new)

Cristina I've never seen a giraffe or a zebra in real life and I grew up fine. If you need an alternative to Zoos, search for an animal sanctuary near you or visit national parks. :) Animals belong in the wild, not in cages or aquariums. There are many ways to learn about things, not just experiencing them first-hand

Go watch "Earthlings" on youtube and see what animals go through for people's trivial entertainment.

Children are much more aware and logical than we give them credit for. Just explain to them what the options are and what each of them implies, and they will choose to do the right thing. Being so young, they won't find it as difficult as it may be for us, because they're not caught up in certain traditions and preconceptions like adults are. ;)