Melissa's Reviews > The Kings' Mistresses: The Liberated Lives of Marie Mancini, Princess Colonna, and Her Sister Hortense, Duchess Mazarin

The Kings' Mistresses by Elizabeth C. Goldsmith

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: gr-lt-early-review
Read from April 23 to 30, 2012

I knew nothing of the Mancini sisters going into this book, but right from the start I knew their story was unique. The Kings Mistresses is well written and engaging, which is not always something that can be said for non-fiction. The two sisters caused sensations throughout Europe after fleeing from their husbands and while reading you really get a sense of just how much media coverage there was even in the 17th century. It seemed the sisters could hardly travel anywhere without being known. After the sisters go different ways the story could have gotten jumbled by trying to follow each but the author does a good job of going between each and not feeling like you are going backwards or rehashing anything. I was also nervous about the length of the book being somewhat of a hindrance to telling a full story but after I was done I felt like their story had been told fully and completely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kings' Mistresses.

04/24/2012 page 36