Anna Motteler's Reviews > A Corner of the Universe

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Anna by: Roger
Recommended for: Everyone
Read in September, 2008, read count: 1

I saw that one of my friends read this book, so I decided to check it out. I love Ann M. Martin, she is one of my favorite authors, so before I even started reading this, I knew I would like it. It's heartwarming and an amazing story.

This eleven year old girl (soon to be twelve) named Hattie lives in a boardinghouse with her family. She wakes up early, does her chores, and then reads or does whatever else she feels like doing. Up until the day she realizes she has an uncle Adam, that she never knew about. He randomly comes into her life, but she becomes best friends with him.

Adam has a mental problem, but it's not as obvious as some people would think it was. He was always smiling and happy and a loud, fun, outgoing human being. He was twenty one years old, but had a children's heart. Hattie helps him a lot and is a better friend to him than anyone. Adam constantly quotes I Love Lucy and most people don't catch on to that. Hattie then goes to the carnival and meets a new friend, Leila. She then takes Adam to meet Leila, who's family is the circus people.

One day Hattie convinces Adam to sneak out of his house and come to the carnival with her and Leila. He never rode the rides before this event because he was scared, but this night they convinced him to, and it's a night Hattie will never forget.

This book was amazing and made me realize that so many people really do judge someone, even if they have a mental disorder. It's upsetting but it shows a true heart and a truly good person.
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Corner of the Universe.

message 1: by EhMehLeanツ (new)

EhMehLeanツ Beltran I liked the part when Adam could figure out what day a certain date was

Tisnue yah but the ending was sad!

Michaela I loved this book!! Especially the part when adam had a "secret" :)

Notsopretty123 i agree! i loved this book and it's amazing and great for kids around the main character's age. it was so sweet! EEK!!!