Brittany Flaming's Reviews > Life of Pi

F_50x66
Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read on April 23, 2012

Liked? Clearly literature from the first decade of the 21st century is going to be referred to as either the metafiction decade or the writing-is-a-sacred-contract-between-author-and-reader-here-let-me-violate-it, because here is another book that aims to do just that. Life of Pi is a tightly woven, beautifully simple, straightforward, and adventurous novel about how life is religion, and zoos are life. Or vice versa (you get to choose what to believe). I’m pretty sure everything under the sun has been written about Life of Pi, considering how many people have read it, and it deserves all the praise and adulation. I loved Richard Parker and Ravi, I cried for the zebra and Orange Juice, I loved how human and animal both Richard Parker and Pi are/become. The fantasy element is so far out there you have no choice but to believe it (or do you). And I love the twist at the end. It’s one I will never forget.

Problems? Oddly enough, I don’t find Pi a super relatable protagonist and that really hindered the enjoyment of the story for me in parts, for example at the beginning of part II, I had a really hard time feeling and understanding what Pi was going through. Pacing in parts was a bit off. There were several times where I felt the story was starting to drag a bit, but Yann Martel manages to catch himself just in time.

Recommend? Absolutely. Life of Pi is not a hard read, but it isn’t an easy read either. In fact, it grows increasingly difficult. The mirroring of religion and zoos, life and zoos, and life and religion is so tightly knit, so inseparable, and the end is so tied up with the rest, that the journey is worth it ten times through. I want to sit down and read it again, just so I can catch everything. So yes, sit down and read Life of Pi and pass it on to someone else. As it says in the author note, this is a “story that will make you believe in God.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of Pi.