♡Karlyn P♡'s Reviews > Bared to You

Bared to You by Sylvia Day

Apr 23, 2012

bookshelves: read-2012, steam-sizzling, series-to-be-continued, hero-dirty-talker, damaged-hero, damaged-heroine, published-2012, genre-erotica, genre-contemporary
Read from April 25 to 30, 2012 , read count: 2

4.5!! WAAAAY better than that Fifty Shades of Grey. I do get the comparison, but truly this is a MUCH better read. Simply put, this book had the polish that FSoG grossly lacked. (I read FSoG just before I read this one. Sadly, I found it disturbing and only gave it a 1-star review.)

The major similarities:
--hero is a young (late 20's), gorgeous, brilliant zillionaire business mogul who sports non-stop erections and has sex on the brain 24/7
--hero has a controlling and obsessive desire for the heroine, including a jealous streak that is off-the-charts
--hero a has a dark and tortured soul that shapes his very world, brought on by years of abuse as a child
--hero maintains a platonic relationship with his past sexual partners, which drives a major wedge with the heroine
--HOT, HOT, HOT sex scenes

The major differences:
-- Gideon isn’t a predator. Unlike Grey, Gideon never tries to coerce and manipulate Eva into doing anything that is for his sole pleasure alone. He doesn’t try to coerce and manipulate her into believing his desires should be the only desires that matter.
--Eva has about 100+ IQ points on Ana, and can actually converse in an intelligent conversation without all of the “Whoa!”, “Oh, My!” and “Gasp!” (To say I like Eva better than Ana is an understatement!)
--Gideon isn’t into ‘period sex’. Yuck.
--No BDSM, at least not yet. This series will continue, so hard to say where it will go. Hmmmm. There was some light talk of subs & doms, pain-as-pleasure…etc.
--No Arnica cream to sooth ‘bruising, sprains and injuries’. (Christian’s remedy for a bruising sore ass, oh lovely)
--The writing is great. Tight, edited and well plotted. It is also quite refreshing when compared to the comic book tone of FSoG.
--Not just ONE, but TWO main characters with damaged souls. (Yep, Eva has a dark soul too and it controls her.)

There are some other small similarities to FSoG, but for the most part I found this book stood well on its own. Gideon was a damaged soul, and the relationship between him and Eva often felt like a co-dependent mess and not a true romance. Eva’s past continues to haunt her, so the main question is can two damaged souls build a healthy relationship? Beneath all the layers of their relationship I did believe they will find true love and heal as best they can from their past. I never believed that with Grey and Ana in FSoG. This was a gripping story and I loved watching these two come together and try to get it right.

If you are holding off reading this because you didn’t like FSoG, you might miss out. If you like dark, edgy erotica romance with great writing, then forget the comparison to FSoG. I can’t wait to see how Sylvia Day closes their story.

_____________________________________

Sept 21 - Audiobook review and update
The audiobook version of this book is really good! Loved the narrator.

I think I enjoyed this book even more the second time through. The connection between Gideon and Eva is so deep and emotionally raw, and I think I connected with them even more in my re-read. They are intensely interesting characters, both individually and together as a couple. I picked up on many of the subtle details this time that helps to further explain why they are damaged souls, and why their turbulent relationship might be the healthiest thing for them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bared to You.

04/25/2012
6.0% "Great start, Already has its hooks in me. I think I'm going to like Eva."
04/26/2012
22.0% "Oh my, this might just live up to the hype!! ((finally)) seriously getting hot, and the writing is so good. Sylvia Day, it appears you may be back. (cross fingers)" 8 comments
09/17/2012
25.0% "Doing a re-read, this time on audio!! So far it's really good." 3 comments
09/18/2012
50.0% "re-read on audio version: So far the narration is really good. The male voice isn't my favorite, but it is really good. I am enjoying this story even more the second time through. I can see many of the details I missed the first-time."
09/19/2012
75.0% ""I've told you what I need Ava: control."" 3 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Kristen I look forward to your full review.

message 2: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Can't wait to read your review KarLynP....I finished this one a few days ago and still don't know what to write in my review.

♡Karlyn P♡ I plan to get to it this weekend! I wrote a lot of notes when I read it, I need to compile them into a review.

Anne OK Fantastic review KarLyn! I read both and there is just no comparison for me. It's "Bared to You" by a "50" mile headstart!

♡Karlyn P♡ AnneOK wrote: "Fantastic review KarLyn! I read both and there is just no comparison for me. It's "Bared to You" by a "50" mile headstart!"

Ha ha, love that!! I do get the comparison, but in the end there really wasn't one, was there?

message 6: by ~V~ (last edited May 07, 2012 05:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~V~ Great review KarLynP!..and LMAO @ "-Gideon isn’t into ‘period sex’. Yuck." I'm a Fifty Shades lover, but i thought the same thing when i'd read it! LOL!

Kristen Great review! I haven't read this book yet but I plan to once the second book is closer to being released. I hate to wait! Lol.

♡Karlyn P♡ ~V~ wrote: "Great review KarLynP!..and LMAO @ "-Gideon isn’t into ‘period sex’. Yuck." I'm a Fifty Shades lover, but i thought the same thing when i'd read it! LOL!"

thanks V! that really grossed me out too, just TMI

♡Karlyn P♡ Kristen wrote: "Great review! I haven't read this book yet but I plan to once the second book is closer to being released. I hate to wait! Lol."

Thanks Kristen! It might be a good idea to wait, I feel like Sept is very far away

KatLynne Great review KarLyn! I've read them both and Bared is without a doubt a better read for me! There is such a tenderness of emotion here that was missing in FSoG. And OMGosh Gideon! Faults and all I love this man!

♡Karlyn P♡ KatLynne wrote: "There is such a tenderness of emotion here that was missing in FSoG."

You're right, well said! I believed in these two and thought deep down they do have what it takes, and they really read like destined lovers. I didn't get any of that deep emotion with Fifty.

message 12: by KA (new) - rated it 5 stars

KA great review, karlyn!
i enjoyed fifty shades a lot, but i totally agree. the writing was MUCH better. it didn't make me cringe either- like that yuck scene did. :) it was just steamy and emotional.

♡Karlyn P♡ Lol, no cringing is a good thing. :-) thanks kerianne.

KindleRomance Reviews Love the review!

message 15: by Shelly (new)

Shelly Great review!

♡Karlyn P♡ Thanks Kris and Shelly!

Lindy Oh thank Jesus. Someone sane who also thinks fifty shades is terrible terrible writing. I agree with everything in this review. EVERYTHING. I read this amazingly well written, constructed erotic romance about two damaged souls finding each other and trying to make it work despite actual conflicts both internal and external to their relationships (not stupid melodramatic obstacles) and adored it. And then I go look for recs and stumble onto FSoG. Come on. This is by far the superior novel. BY. FAR.

♡Karlyn P♡ Lindy wrote: "Oh thank Jesus. Someone sane who also thinks fifty shades is terrible terrible writing. I agree with everything in this review. EVERYTHING. I read this amazingly well written, constructed erotic r..."

I am glad you agree Lindy! By far is right.

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I'm hating FSoG, for all of the reasons you mentioned. I need something to help me recover from it, and this sounds great. Thanks for the great review!

♡Karlyn P♡ Rachel wrote: "I'm hating FSoG, for all of the reasons you mentioned. I need something to help me recover from it, and this sounds great. Thanks for the great review!"

People have such a wide reaction to these books, but I found this one really worked for me. Enjoy!

message 21: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited May 23, 2012 09:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♡Karlyn P♡ Oh wow, looks like Sylvia Day just sold the rights to this series to Penguin! How exciting!! I just hope this doesn't mean book 2 will be delayed. It was set for October/fall. Fingers crossed it stays on schedule. :-)

This is the book that should be a movie series.

message 22: by Ellie (new)

Ellie I so agree!!! It is so much better.

♡Karlyn P♡ Ellie wrote: "I so agree!!! It is so much better."

Thanks Ellie! I realize it's a personal choice, especially when a book is so similar to another. I can't wait for the sequel to this one.

Nicole-Pattypattz1 Hi KarlynP...nice review and I can see some similarities between Christen and Gideon, but differences too. You make valid points above, so thanks. I think I was so damned consummed with reading about Gideon Cross, that at the time my brain didn't even let FIFTY cross into it...LOL, Gideon would have wanted to attack FIFTY as he wants all the attention!

What is it about these Bad-Boy-Billionaire, sexually possessive and highly charged males that drive us NUTS???

message 25: by Farrah (new) - added it

Farrah "Beneath all the layers of their relationship I did believe they will find true love and heal as best they can from their past. I never believed that with Grey and Ana" but have you read book 2 and 3 of Fifty Shades? Ana and Grey do find true love and it heals Christian.

message 26: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited Jul 31, 2012 12:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♡Karlyn P♡ Farrah wrote: ""Beneath all the layers of their relationship I did believe they will find true love and heal as best they can from their past. I never believed that with Grey and Ana" but have you read book 2 and..."

I didn't read Fifty 2&3, but I've talked to many who have. Some believed the ending, others didn't. Based on my reaction to book one, I don't think I would buy their romance. But my biggest issue with that book was the fact I really didn't like Christian and Ana, nor did I like the writing style with the over-used phrases and the exaggerated, euphemistic inner-dialogue. I know many fans loved that series, but book one was not my cuppa.

SheReadsALot I didn't read Fifty yet (it keeps getting pushed further down my TBR pile) but there's period sex? WHAT?! Sounds like I'm pushing it further.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Great review KarLynP!

♡Karlyn P♡ SheReadsAlot wrote: "I didn't read Fifty yet (it keeps getting pushed further down my TBR pile) but there's period sex? WHAT?! Sounds like I'm pushing it further."

Yep! Oddly, it fit within the boundaries of their twisted relationship, but still icked me out. (view spoiler)

♡Karlyn P♡ Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "Great review KarLynP!"

Thanks Sandi!

message 31: by Deb (new)

Deb I absolutely love Sylvia Day's writing, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this book. I'll add it to my TBR. I've read enough negative reviews of FSoG to know I would hate it too, and had no idea Day's book was even being compared to it. I'm looking forward to reading this one. Thanks for the review KarLyn!

Paula Thank you, you have just resolved my desire not to read fifty shades. I read and enjoyed Bared to you and I wont be reading fifty shades

♡Karlyn P♡ Deb wrote: "I absolutely love Sylvia Day's writing, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this book. I'll add it to my TBR. I've read enough negative reviews of FSoG to know I would hate it too, and had no idea Day'..."

Do read it Deb! This was a great book, I can't wait for its sequal.

♡Karlyn P♡ Paula wrote: "Thank you, you have just resolved my desire not to read fifty shades. I read and enjoyed Bared to you and I wont be reading fifty shades"

Lol, I swore I wouldn't read FSoG but caved after so many friends asked me about it. It was different than I expected, but still not a romance I could enjoy. I realize many feel differently, but the writing, characters, and plot were all lacking, IMO

message 35: by Deb (new)

Deb ♡KarLynP♡ wrote: "Deb wrote: "I absolutely love Sylvia Day's writing, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this book. I'll add it to my TBR. I've read enough negative reviews of FSoG to know I would hate it too, and had ..."

It's on my wish list. When the sequel comes out, I'll read them together. Do you know when it's coming out?

♡Karlyn P♡ Deb - the series will be a trilogy now. Book 2 comes out in October, book 3 in January. I imagine many will wait to read them until all are out, but I'm glad I didn't wait. This was one of my favorite reads this year.

message 37: by Deb (new)

Deb Thanks KarLyn. Sometimes I read books as they come out and sometimes I wait. Since I have so many books in my TBR pile, I am ok with waiting. Lol. Plus I recently finished one of her books, so I'll try to spread the goodness out.

Adrianna I agree. This is much better! And the sex scenes are different each time.

♡Karlyn P♡ Adrianna wrote: "I agree. This is much better! And the sex scenes are different each time."

Thanks!

Kathleen WOW! 134 like's, IIIIIEEEEEE. I have to say you deserve it though, your review on this book is FANTASTIC :-)

♡Karlyn P♡ Kathleen wrote: "WOW! 134 like's, IIIIIEEEEEE. I have to say you deserve it though, your review on this book is FANTASTIC :-)"

Thanks Kathleen. I think GR is floating this review as I get a few likes daily, but maybe that's because it's such a popular book. Have you read it yet? The sequal comes out next month, can't wait!

message 42: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay Great review KarLyn! I don't know how I missed it before. :)

Kathleen ♡KarLynP♡ wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "WOW! 134 like's, IIIIIEEEEEE. I have to say you deserve it though, your review on this book is FANTASTIC :-)"

Thanks Kathleen. I think GR is floating this review as I get a few li..."

OH YES! I sure did read it and I'll be getting Reflected In You on 10/2 :-) and starting it right away.

message 44: by Booklover (new)

Booklover You just made me put this on my wish list!

message 45: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela Das then seriously need to buy this book

♡Karlyn P♡ Angela wrote: "then seriously need to buy this book"

Booklover wrote: "You just made me put this on my wish list!
I haven't read FSoG nor do I want to. Some of the feedback on that series is like major "Ewww" to me. So thank you for helping me find this alternative "

Angela and Booklover - hope you enjoy it! Sequel coming soon. :-)

Arissa Palmer I liked your review but I do like FSOG better. To me this book did not take enough time o develop the relationship btw the two characters and went to sex too soon without the relationship developing. I think I would have liked it more had it done that. I do think the writing was more polished however and the sex scenes were great in both books!

Muffin Awesome review!I'm a FSOG fan, but the love story of Gideon & Eva is far more intriguing than Christian & Ana. This review was spot on!

♡Karlyn P♡ Muffin wrote: "Awesome review!I'm a FSOG fan, but the love story of Gideon & Eva is far more intriguing than Christian & Ana. This review was spot on!"

Thanks Muffin! I am actually doing a re-read of this one now. I have the audiobook version this time, and am enjoying it just as much the second time through. I am getting very excited for the sequel!! Just a few more weeks!!!

Joy (Cheery♡Reads) I'm on the fence about this one because it is compared to FSoG and I detested that book.
Still contemplating whether to read this book...Should you peeps?

« previous 1