Marti's Reviews > Summerland

Summerland by Elin Hilderbrand

Elin Hilderbrand with this novel, Summerland has grown tremendously in my estimation. The novel takes place on Nantucket Island, as does her others, but it could be very universal with any small town. Elin Hilderbrand takes a community tragedy and allows us to hear about the tragedy and the unmitigated sorrows and glories of life in a small town as people work through the the ddifficult situation. Four children, Penny, Jake, Hobby, and Demeter were all involved, but the why is foggy. As the story continues over the summer, more and more information is presented until.... well that is for you to read.

The discriptiveness of her writing is powerful... "A heart as fragile as a bone china teacup". Summerland is a novel drenched in the realities of life. With this novel, she has brought us up and down with the rich emotions of the people involved. This could have happened any where and at any time in history. Her writing encourages you to continue reading until the end. Putting it down is hard. I have always found Elin Hilderbrand's novels to be well written and interesting, but I have always considered them fluffy beach reads. No more.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summerland.

07/10/2012 page 75
18.0% "loving the story... so sad in some ways.."
07/11/2012 page 235
56.0% "an amazing amount of pain in each of the characters...what happened behind the dune. a heart as fragile as a bone china teacup?"