Sandy's Reviews > Shades of Grey

Shades of Grey by Michael Cargill

Apr 23, 2012

bookshelves: nook, own
Read in April, 2012

The writing of these three stories was astonishing and I was moved by the depth and the realism I felt as I read each one of them. Each of them was unique in their storyline but the characters each came out a different person in the end. A better person? Well, that all depends on your own perspective. To tackle a variety of different storylines inside one book was a nice change and I commend the author. The author did an excellent job in the details of each story, giving the readers just enough information about the characters and their surroundings, that I didn’t feel overloaded with the sights, sounds or unnecessary information. I can’t say which story was my favorite as I think a couple of them I’ll remember for a while. The story Shades of Gray has so many little symbols of things that come to mind when I recall the story. While the hostage is tied to a chair, the thoughts that go through his head are so random that they are funny yet so predictable, I think. In There and Back Again, I was transported to WWII and lived it, at least a small part of it through the eyes of a young and brave soldier. Finally in Down the Rabbit Hole, I met Tom and Borger. I thought this story had a lot of twists to it. It also made me think of everyone’s evil side and I love the way the story ended.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Grey.