Jewels ♥ My Devastating Reads's Reviews > Trilby

Apr 23, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: historical-romance
Read from April 23 to 25, 2012

What to give this book....I'm going with a 3ish. It's not quite a 3, it's not a 2 and it's not a 2.5 even because that's not quite enough. Probably I'm splitting hairs, but there it is.

I think the problem with trying to rate this book is that I've no idea what sort of book this is. Part romance, part drama, part historical fiction with the Mexican Revolution, it's kind of a mish mash that leaves you with a wtf feeling at the end. I might even add its part social/racial commentary with the love story between Naki and Sissy. Personally, I found it very hard to place and it makes me want more. I think Palmer was covering a lot of themes and was attempting some important commentary on a variety of issues, but she needed a far greater canvas on which to adequately depict such commentary and eras on, and thus this book fell short in that respect.

I'm intrigued by her characters, but I think too much is happening and they don't seem fully developed. Trilby is a prude who finds out what love and passion are, but I'm not exactly sure how. How did she learn these intense lessons about herself? Was it the great sex with Thorn? I can't say because it seems like a slow realization dawning out of nothing. Thorn has loved her since the beginning, so I understand his character a bit better. Hard, rough yet internally very passionate and vulnerable, him I get. Of course, he's an absolute ass to Trilby in the beginning and I'm not sure I can forgive him that, but at least I understand where he's coming from and what he's all about. Naki I also understand, and his love story with Sissy pulls at my heart because it seems like too much--to overcome, to sacrifice, to feel. Theirs is a story that if properly told be would be the stuff of legend, like that couple in The Last of the Mohicans. I really want more from their story than Palmer gives us. It's like a fire that she started to kindle and then left to smolder out. As to Lisa and Powell, I have no idea what part they played in this story. Like at all. They weren't in any way connected to anyone else. It was really odd to have them included in the story.

So, overall...yeah, wish this book had just been more focused. I don't like leaving a read and feeling like so much more could have done with it.