Kate's Reviews > Phantom

F_50x66
Apr 27, 12

bookshelves: books-read-2012
Read from April 23 to 27, 2012

After reading The Leopard and The Snowman, both featuring Harry Hole, I was really looking forward to this new offering from Jo Nesbo. Initially I found it intriguing; who starts a book from the point of view of a rat and actually manages to twist it into a great revelation come the conclusion of the book?
But, as I read on, I had mixed feelings about Phantom. I love Harry as a character, but the whole drugs theme isn’t really something that appeals to me. I didn’t find it anywhere near as engaging as the other two books I’ve read.

In this book Harry returns from Hong Kong when Rakel’s son Oleg has been charged with the murder of Gusto. The two of them having been involved in taking and dealing drugs together. The case has been closed, the evidence clearly pointing to his guilt, but Harry doesn’t accept that Oleg is guilty, and decides to investigate. During this time he attracts the attention of various parties; drug trading mastermind Dubai, whom no one really knows, and corrupt members of the police force.

Part of the narrative is from the viewpoint of the murdered Gusto, as he is dying, and this combines with the current narrative for some real twists towards the end, which I didn’t see coming.

It ends on a real cliffhanger, which I don’t want to say any more about for risk of spoiling it for others, but… No, I really wont. Although it’s not my favourite of the Harry Hole books I’ve read so far, it’s definitely worth a read, for the final 100 or so pages alone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phantom.

04/24/2012 page 75