Kim Mcnelly's Reviews > Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us

Drive by Daniel H. Pink

Apr 23, 12

Read in February, 2012

Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel H Pink
I selected this book to listen to because I struggle to determine what motivates me. I thought this would provide me some insight to how I can challenge myself and motivate myself to become more engaged in what I am currently doing. The ideas in this book are good, but not what I expected. Some things I will take with me, others were not sticky enough.
My learnings from this book are:
• The rise and fall of motivation, why the stick and carrot don’t work anymore.
• The three elements of motivation
o Autonomy
o Mastery
o Purpose

ONE THING I TOOK AWAY: By allowing people to be open and free with their assignments (Autonomy), you actually motivate them. That offering bonuses and “gifts” for performance can actually make people perform at a lower standard. Self gratification can be the best reward out there.
WHAT I WILL APPLY: Autonomy=independence or freedom. I struggle with autonomy. I prefer structure and organization. I need to find a way to be open and flourish with independence and freedom. I was once creative and open in my youth. I need to get some of that back and be able to be more creative, maybe it’s the lack of autonomy in my recent past that has prevented this.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drive.