Chelsea Smith's Reviews > The Odyssey

The Odyssey by Homer

F 50x66
Apr 23, 12

When I first began reading this book, I did not like it one bit! I had a difficult time understanding the text since it is not written in modern day English. Once I understood, I began to really enjoy this book. To travel along with Telemakhos and Odysseus until they reunite is truly inspiring. As Telemakhos sets out on his journey, he is faced with many struggles, physical and emotional, while searching for his father. This is an interesting book because before this I had never had any knowledge of all the Gods. This novel not only made me feel good inside but it taught me so much. It has taught me how to read a different style text as well as which Gods are which and what they do. The ideas of reunion and revenge also make it interesting. One example of reunion is when Telemakhos is reunited with Odysseus. Odysseus says, “I am that father whom your boyhood lacked and suffered pain for lack of. I am he” (295). This pulled at my heart because of the way Homer says it, “whom your boyhood lacked,” it makes me feel sad to have that experience of growing up without a father. A revenge scene is when the father and son attack Melanthios. It says, “As Melanthios came out the two men sprang, jerked him backward by the hair, and threw him. Hands and feet they tied with a cutting cord behind him, so his bones ground in their sockets, just as Laertes’ royal son commanded. Then with a whip of rope they hoisted him in agony up a pillar to the beams, and -- O my swinheard – you were the one to say:…” (415). Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone looking to learn something new.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Odyssey.