Laura Thomas's Reviews > Taken

Taken by Charlotte Abel

Jun 03, 12

Read from April 23 to May 31, 2012

Charlotte Abel did it again. She blew me away with Taken! The sequel to Enchantment picks up right where she left off and continues to delight me. All of my favorite characters are back to thrill me again.

Mild Spoiler Alert if you have not read Enchantment: Book One.

Josh and Channie are back and more in love than ever. They are keeping busy turning their little shack into a home. Still in hiding from Dominance, they try to stay hidden at the secret training camp. There is still a price on Channies head and her own mother would sacrifice her to save her own skin. All because of a blood vengeance against Channie's father.
Josh is in training to learn how to control his curses in order to protect Channie. He is reluctant to curse anything as it can be disastrous.
Aunt Wisdom finally spoke up and said, "Josh, you're a married man. You need to prove you're man enough to protect your wife."
Josh jerked his head towards Aunt Wisdom and glared at her, "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"
Aunt Wisdom just stood there, arms folded across her chest, and stared at Josh.
Hunter said, "I think it means you need to kill something."
Josh's energy spiked again. "How about I start with you?"

I think there is still some jealousy there between Josh and Hunter.
Training is intense and had me holding my breath. There is a lot of tension between the two men and I fear the curses cannot be controlled.
The emotional upheaval between Channie and Josh is exciting, intense and funny all at once. Forbidden to be physically joined until Josh is fully recovered from his illness, they are really struggling to obey Aunt Wisdom's orders and keep their intimate encounters to kissing and snuggling.
I loved this scene:
Channie took his sweater in her hands, then leaned over and sniffed cautiously. It didn't just smell good. It smelled like lemons and sandalwood and Josh.
She closed her eyes, pressed the cloud of wooly fabric against her face and drank in his scent. When she opened her eyes, Josh was staring at her. He looked like something out of a dream, bathed in moonlight, bare chest heaving with every breath. A stretching sensation deep inside her chest ached. This hunger was more than lust. It was a physical need as real as the urge to breath.
Charlotte's writing allows, no, makes you feel the aching longing between these young lovers. You feel the intense, physical yearning between them.
Taken really takes off. There are plenty of adrenaline pumping action scenes and lots of new characters laced through the story, adding depth while not slowing down the the reading.
There are a lot of secrets and Channie's family is still a mess. The "trips" are getting older and their antics made me laugh out loud. I like the new power names that are introduced and how they compliment the new characters.
The ending is heart-wrenching but encouraging. You will find you have no choice - you will have to read the third and final book in the series. It will be available September 2012.

A huge Thank You to Charlotte Abel for this wonderful sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taken.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Martha I just started this one but so far it's pretty good.how is it so far for you?

Laura Thomas Hi Martha. Sorry it took so long to reply. I did not mean to be rude.
Loving the book. I would say it is better than the first one. I have it scheduled to be reviewed shortly. How is it for you?

Martha No worries :D
Really? I haven't been able to really concentrate on it just yet but I think tonight I'll give it a couple of hours. I'm very excited about it though. So far what I've read has been good.