John's Reviews > The Enlightened Cyclist: Commuter Angst, Dangerous Drivers, and Other Obstacles on the Path to Two-Wheeled Trancendence

The Enlightened Cyclist by BikeSnobNYC

May 27, 12

Recommended to John by: BikeSnobNYC
Recommended for: cyclists, NYC resident, MTB owners
Read from April 02 to 21, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 2

Snarky, irreverent, sometimes profane, so witty.

I've been reading the online rants and street cycling wisdom of author BikeSnobNYC (a.k.a Eben Weiss) for few years now, and must admit that his often irreverent outbursts and tirades frequently leave me laughing. So it's no wonder that when his book The Enlightened Cyclist became available, I grabbed it.

When I say elsewhere, that's because the author, a Brooklyn resident, has been writing for Bicycling Magazine for some time now, and he's now here in book for the second time. His chapter entitled "Annoying Cyclist Behavior" is an astute observation from a fellow cyclist who is a keen observer of these things. He opens it with his observations on the practice of 'salmoning' using wit to speak out against this dangerous practice in a way that had this rider nodding his head in agreement, yet laughing at his descriptions. That's followed by 'shoaling' and a number of other topics that will have most riders shaking their heads in between laughing at the often snarky terminology used by the author.

BikeSnobNYC

There's a chapter devoted to the backlash against cyclists, and as the author points out, it has a true historical perspective. He's done his research well, and just when you get wrapped up in the serious side of his explanations, he drops a bombshell that will leave you laughing.

And for cyclists around the world, his Bike Snob NYC blog, sometimes informative and often snarky, is well worth reading.

The Enlightened Cyclist  Commuter Angst, Dangerous Drivers, and Other Obstacles on the Path to Two-Wheeled Trancendence by BikeSnobNYC

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enlightened Cyclist.