W.C. Hart's Reviews > Caesar's Women

Caesar's Women by Colleen McCullough

Jul 11, 12

Read from April 23 to June 20, 2012

I think Colleen McCullough did an excellent job of depicting the political system and the conflict associated with that system in Rome at that time. Many people have no idea how the Roman republic functioned in the days before the emperors. She also brought to life all of the historic figuires from that era and provided us a glimpse into what they were really like as people. The power and influence that women had in this male dominated society was I fel very accurately if maybe somewhat understated in the story. An excellent picture of the time and the political intrigue during the Roman republic. I was surprised at the level of devotion to religion, as I always believed the Romans only went through the motions of believing in their religion, but Colleen McCullough indicates something entirely different. Altogether it was an excellent book, extremely well written, researched, and documented.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caesar's Women.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

W.C. Hart So far I've completed the first two sections and find this to be extremely detailed and well researched as is typical of of a Colleen McCullough book. I would love to be able to discuss with her what parts of her story are the creation her imagination versus assumed to be historic fact. For example, history implies Caesar and
Servilia were indeed involved in a long term sexual relationship. However many scholars believe that Caesar was Brutus' father, and Colleen McCullough squashes that notion early on. She does allow that Caesar was the father of Servilia's daughter. It is interesting as she spins the story and at this point it appears that Caesar will be caught between two equally strong minipulative women who intend to assure their own long term survival and well being by influencing Caesar. So at this point it seems that both Caesar's mother and Servilia will be the power behind Caesar. I imagine that to the extent that their objectives align these two women will be at peace, but once their objectives vary, I imagine life will become quite difficult for Caesar. It will be interesting to see how the story plays out and if my assumptions are correct.

W.C. Hart I got a late start and have had some family problems that have slowed down my reading. I am only on in the early stages of part three. This is an extremely detailed and well researched novel as one would expect from this author. I would love to be able to talk to her regarding her research and determinehave her tell me what story lines are completely fiction and which ones are based on historical research. For example, there is a school of thought among historians taht suggests Brutus was actually Caesar's son, and this notion is destroyed in the first several pages of the book. I am looking forward to the rest of the story.

W.C. Hart Just finished Caesar's Women. It was excellent . Collen McCullough made all of the historical characters come to life in such a realistic fashion. She provided a very accurate picture of the role of women at this time, although I think it may be slightly understated, and she absolutely was spot on in her discussion of both the political structure and intense political conflicts of the . One of the things I learned from reading this book is that the Roman nobles were far more serious about their religion than my readings up to now have indicated. She shows how the Plebian class even though they were hated by the Patricians became a powerful political body and how they could be manipulated. Finally
I think her novel begs the question, is a good and benevolent dictator better than a government led by constipated and visionless politicians.