Kevin's Reviews > Dead Beat

Dead Beat by Jim Butcher

Apr 28, 2012

bookshelves: dresden
Read from April 23 to 28, 2012

This seventh Dresden Novel has the usual high pace, dramatic and humorous storyline I have come to expect from Jim Butcher. Added to this is the continued and interesting development of several aforementioned but lesser characters. Lieutenant Murphy who's story developed a lot in book six is largely absent from this book but we learn an awful lot more about the White Council, their Wardens and especially developed is the character of Butters the Polka loving and cowardly mortician.

I had to smile to myself several times during the book as the relationship between Harry and Butters in this novel reminded me of the relationship between Danger Mouse and his reluctantly brave sidekick Penfold. Danger Mouse is a well known British Cartoon from the 80's and 90's. The voice of Butters in my head was just like the voice of Penfold who was voiced in the cartoon by the brilliant Terry Scott.

In with all the character development various realities of the magical world are introduced to the reader. Necromancy is explored, as is the notion that perhaps it has been misjudged by the White Council. The world of Fairy is fleshed out to contain more than just the more ordered powers of Winter and Summer as the more primal & wild powers & personalities are revealed. And finally, the mystery that is Harry Dresden is heightened as now Demons, Fairy, White Council and Fallen Angels have developed a grudging respect for him, a mystery that will no doubt continue to nag at the reader as much as is does Dresden himself.

A throughly enjoyable read and highly recommended - but if you have read the series this far, you already knew that.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Beat.