Terry's Reviews > Her Fearful Symmetry

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: fiction

I'm the only person I know among those who read the book, and, according to best seller lists, the only person in America, who just didn't get into The Time Traveler's Wife. I just...couldn't do it. Anyway. I am a fan of Niffenegger's graphic art, but somehow her 'adult novels' aren't all that...great. All that being said, I actually generally enjoyed Her Fearful Symmetry. It's very much a modern gothic, so much so that I almost felt like Niffenegger was writing a parody of modern gothic, but that might not be so. This almost feels like a young adult novel to me, maybe since the point of view is mostly told from a very sheltered young woman's point of view, and so that voice dominates the book although there are quite adult themes and love stories and events in the book. It's a bit chilly, a bit silly, a bit over-the-top, but certainly a nice book to read on a rainy afternoon when you're not up to heavy lifting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Fearful Symmetry.