Leah's Reviews > Inside

Inside by Maria V. Snyder

Apr 23, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, library-book, ya, sci-fi
Read from April 23 to 24, 2012 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** It reminded me strongly of Pegasus in Flight, with the main character slipping about the service ducts and the oppressive regime keeping the underclass in small, crowded conditions.
I think I need to take a break from Maria V. Snyder; I really enjoy her work but it is starting to feel like it's all the same book. In this book/duet the reluctant heroine reminded me very strongly of The Hunger Games trilogy, possibly because of the scifi futuristic setting which is a departure from the other books I've read by Snyder, and partly because Trella has to deal with the consequences of leading the people she's stirred to rebellion after the rebellion is over, which reminds me very much of the issues Katniss finds herself facing in Mockingjay. That's not why I need to take a break. I love the reluctant heroine -- she's a sympathetic and realistic character. I need to take a break because I'm sick of the same love story over and over and OVER again. I would have enjoyed this world much more if the author had simply avoided romance altogether instead of bringing in the stranger who initially alienates the protagonist and eventually wins her heart. It's not a bad story, every now and then. Additionally, I'm finding a few of Snyder's word choices annoying (e.g., the use of "equaled" in awkward sentences) and some of the grammatical flaws are easier to overlook when it's an audiobook, which this wasn't (e.g., starting sentences with "Although," when it doesn't make sense). Fun stuff, and I look forward to the next Touch book, but it's time for a break! I also think I've now read all the published work by Snyder, so it's a good thing I'm taking a breather.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside.