Sarah's Reviews > Silently and Very Fast

Silently and Very Fast by Catherynne M. Valente

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: sf, fairy-tale-myth-fable
Read in April, 2012

Oh! This is beautiful. This is the kind of beautiful that makes me shake my fist and despair that I may never write anything as good. It feels abstract and a little bit removed at first, but gradually reveals its inner workings. The structure is complex, but the questions at the core are delicate and beautifully handled. It has science-fictiony parts and fantasyish parts and fairytailish parts and love stores and artificial intelligence and gods and machine dreams. I haven't read all of the Nebula novella nominees just yet, but so far this is my pick.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silently and Very Fast.

Quotes Sarah Liked

Catherynne M. Valente
“I do not want to be human. I want to be myself. They think I’m a lion, that I will chase them. I will not deny that I have lions in me. I am the monster in the wood. I have wonders in my house of sugar. I have parts of myself I do not yet understand.

I am not a Good Robot. To tell a story about a robot who wants to be human is a distraction. There is no difference. Alive is alive.

There is only one verb that matters: to be.”
Catherynne M. Valente, Silently and Very Fast

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Very nicely done! Thanks for liking my review as well.:)