Quiana's Reviews > Neophyte

Neophyte by Emmalee Aple

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: angels, paranormal, romance, young-adult, slow-read, boring, never-again
Read from April 21 to 23, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: Once

Synopsis:
Addisyn White thought she had her new life, her after life, all figured out. Granted death had not brought her to the pearly white gates, she hadn’t even left Earth. But death had its perks; she got to live forever with her best friend and her assigned Link of Angels, in a beautiful beach house. Even with the changes she was going through to turn her human body into an angelic one, everything seemed pretty easy. Until a gray winged angel comes into her life, then all the secrets and lies her Link had been keeping start crumbling away, exposing a whole new world of dangers she didn’t even know about.

Now Addisyn must fill in the blanks before things escalate too far. Will she save her Link? Or will she be buried in their secrets forever?

Review

When I read the synopsis for Neophyte by Emmalee Aple, I was excited about the opportunity to read a book featuring angels. I’ve read books about werewolves, vampires, witches, the faye, etc., but never about angels. With that in mind, I eagerly signed up to read and review Neophyte. I had high hopes for this story.

This was a very slow read for me. The story started with a bang, but after that, it dragged for quite a bit. Half-way through, I’d pretty much lost interest in the story and the characters. Nevertheless, I continued reading because there were questions I needed answered, and secrets I wanted revealed. Speaking of secrets, there were so many, maybe too many. Addisyn’s Link kept many life changing, as well as dangerous, secrets from her. When one secret was revealed, another replaced it. I spent practically the entire book annoyed with most of the characters due to these secrets.

As for characters, a few were interesting; others were more annoying than anything. I was never truly invested in their lives, or their stories. Addisyn in particular was frustrating. She spends most of the book angry with members of her Link, being coddled, and swooning over Greysan, her love interest. It’s understandable that she was angry with them for keeping important information from her, but the multiple temper tantrums were too much. In the end, I was never able to relate to her. I found Graham and Hunter, Addisyn’s best friend, to be the most relatable and interesting characters in the book. I would not have minded learning more about them.

Overall, I give Neophyte two stars. The premise sounded promising, but in the end, the story and its’ characters fell flat.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neophyte.