Joy's Reviews > Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny  Lawson

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from April 21 to 23, 2012

I first heard about the Bloggess and her blog via a Wil Wheaton blog post, and I've been reading her exploits for the past year or so with great enjoyment, so of course I picked up her book once it was released last week. And it is HYSTERICAL, yet sad and cheerful and cringeworthy and important, all at the same time (much like her blog, so I'm not terribly surprised). The author, Jenny Lawson, writes about various anecdotes that make up her life in her signature style, covering a wide range of topics from childhood trauma thanks to her father who ran a taxidermy business, the uncomfortable silences when she met her much-better-off in-laws for the first time, the agony of losing her first pregnancy, and the silent screams of her anxiety attacks.

I think everyone should read this book, unless you are easily offended in which case why would you even look at it, because it's not only hysterically funny but because Jenny covers so much of what it means to deal with her mental illness throughout her life. It's absolutely refreshing to read someone's account of what it's like that is entertaining and not deathly serious and looking for pity, as several others I have read in the past, and I think it makes for a more realistic picture of the situation. Even those who do not have any anxiety or mental issues will still identify with Jenny's writing, as we've all had that moment of panic that we said the wrong thing (even if most of us are unlikely to start talking about vagina badgers).

Read this book, read the blog, and laugh. You won't regret it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Pretend This Never Happened.