Silverdrake's Reviews > Sun Storm

Sun Storm by Åsa Larsson

May 27, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-mysteries
Read in May, 2012

WOW! I'm actually glad I read this one after the others: it's as if I'd met some people and knew a bit about them, and now we're sharing a bottle of wine, and I'm getting the detailed story about how it all began. Larsson's characters are so vivid, I keep thinking, I know that person, I know someone just like that! I love how the women have minds of their owns and don't react in a stereotypical way.

What I loved best was that Larsson doesn't need to explain everything as they do in some mysteries. She credits the reader with enough imagination to figure it out, to speculate and add in details. It makes the story more powerful and more horrifying.

Interesting about the brother/sister relationship which reoccurs in The Black Path. I always enjoy the pets in her books (though some passages were hard to read in this one). One of the most evocative scenes was Rebeckah's vision of her grandmother and Johanna. Larsson has a gift for description - each word is beautifully precise.

If you like mysteries and books with realistic female characters, I highly recommend all of Larsson's work.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sun Storm.