Melissa's Reviews > Holy Ghost Girl: A Memoir

Holy Ghost Girl by Donna Johnson

May 03, 12

bookshelves: memior, nonfiction
Read in April, 2012

This book follows Donna Johnson's family's involvement with the infamous "evangelist" David Terrell, who preached and healed while evading the IRS, fathering eight children with four women, and taking money from impoverished followers to fund a lavish lifestyle, before ending up in jail. He has since been released and is a travelling preacher once more.
This memior is written in an open and honest style without a lot of explicit details, which I appreciate.
I found Donna Johnson's book to be tragic and depressing, as it deals with a lot of hopeless, delusional or emotionally damaged people. I can't think of much that is more tragic than this one man damaging so many people emotionally, spiritually and even physically (a girl died of a curible desease because her parents opted for Terrell's prayers rather than medical help).
While Johnson seems to have struggled with bitterness toward her mother, she doesn't seem to write with hatred. She seems to love and forgive those who have hurt her, and I really respect her for that.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holy Ghost Girl.