Pamela's Reviews > The Confession

The Confession by John Grisham

Apr 23, 2012

did not like it
Recommended for: No one at all
Read from April 20 to 23, 2012

There was so much wrong with this book, and so little right with it that it's difficult to find a place to start the review. Although I am anti-death penalty and liberal and should have been Grisham's chosen choir to preach to, I couldn't finish the thing. It was beyond ridiculous.

Every character on the defendant's side was good. All the others--even the victim's mother--were horribly, horribly bad. Example: Mother of the victim blubbers when she cries. When mother of defendant cries, her "tears fall like gentle rain". Gimme a break!

This was bad enough, but when added to the fact that not a single one of the characters had any depth or dimension, it would have been laughable if it weren't so pathetic.

The plotting was contrived and convuluted. You didn't know what was going to happen next because none of it made any sense. Example: (view spoiler)

The narrator in the audio version I listened to did his best to use different voices for the different characters, but even he couldn't do anything about the words. Grisham didn't bother to give different voices to his characters. He basically used one voice for the baddies and one voice for the goodies. The result is that the defendant used the same words and sounded exactly like the lawyer, and the governor sounded like the detective.

And the preaching! Sheesh! Minutes and minutes (pages and pages) of nothing but ranting and raving about how terrible the death penalty is. Mr. Grisham, does the phrase show don't tell ring a bell?

One thing I did learn from this book is that I will not be reading any more Grisham ever again. Never!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Confession.

03/24/2014 marked as: gave-up-on
03/24/2014 marked as: read

Harry Ball Your review is spot on! Grisham even made the rioters sound peaceful and justified.