Betsy's Reviews > Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art

419395
Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: christian, nonfiction
Read in April, 2012

I've been reading this book since January--there is much to mull over and ponder. While L'Engle and I would differ significantly in our theology, I think she has some truly profound insights into art, creativity, reading/writing, and "Christian art." I love her reiteration that she is a Christian, and she is an artist, so therefore, she happens to be a Christian artist--that "Christian art" shouldn't really be a sub-category. Your beliefs affect and influence everything you do, say, think, and create.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walking on Water.

Quotes Betsy Liked

Madeleine L'Engle
“In a very real sense not one of us is qualified, but it seems that God continually chooses the most unqualified to do his work, to bear his glory. If we are qualified, we tend to think that we have done the job ourselves. If we are forced to accept our evident lack of qualification, then there's no danger that we will confuse God's work with our own, or God's glory with our own.”
Madeleine L'Engle, Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art

Madeleine L'Engle
“We don't want to feel less when we have finished a book; we want to feel that new possibilities of being have been opened to us. We don't want to close a book with a sense that life is totally unfair and that there is no light in the darkness; we want to feel that we have been given illumination.”
Madeleine L'Engle, Walking on Water