Jennifer Marie's Reviews > Off to War: Voices of Soldiers' Children

Off to War by Deborah Ellis

Sep 15, 08

bookshelves: 2008-books, contemporary, mg-2008, ya-2008
Read in September, 2008

This book would have appealed to me whether I was writing Kathryn's Hero or not, but it held even more appeal because of my current project. Here I had facts in my hand - I had kids thoughts and reactions and actions to the war. I could read these and see how accurately my character really is in the situation I've thrown her into.

Now my novel was based off my experiences, feelings, thoughts, but I'm 29 and I'm writing this from a 12 year-olds viewpoint. So much said mimics reactions/feelings that my main character experiences that I really feel like I've captured something that could be amazing.

On to the book itself. As I write this I'm about half way through. It's a fast and easy read. Some of the children's stories I find more interesting than others, but all have offered an insight to the world of military life and war. Some of these experiences I can relate to (growing up an Army Brat), so give me goosebumps because they bring back the all to recent memories of my own from when my brother was in Afghanistan last year.

I definitely think this is a book worth everyone's time to read. What's amazing is the resilience of kids. What they can go through and the perspective they bring to the war(s).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Off to War.