Mimi Smith's Reviews > Sacrificial Magic

Sacrificial Magic by Stacia Kane

Jul 16, 14

bookshelves: uf-r
Read in April, 2012

"Ghosts were what living humans would be if they thought they could get away with it."
-Cesaria Putnam, Debunker

Downside World 401 by Mimi

So, with this book I'm back, and collecting facts, questions and Truth once more. One has to hand it to Stacia Kane, every time I think I have it all figured out, she manages to slip something in to confuse me.

1. There is a Triumph City... The Capital?
2. You can call on spiritual escorts to help you out, open gates, give power...
“I offer a sacrifice to the escorts for their aid.”
Calling on spiritual escorts also requires a sacrifice.
3. One can bind a ghost with a totem, an object that is important to the departed.
4. So, are ghosts substantial or not? If yes, how do they all fit in the City? Do they eventually disappear, disintegrate? Disappear? Or are they in the City forever? For so much discussion about the afterlife this hasn't been really discussed.
5. One very curious statement and a Huh? moment...

"The past week had been the first time in her life she wished she wasn’t what she was, wasn’t a witch, didn’t have extra power in her blood that meant anyone coming in intimate contact with it would be affected by it; wished the Binding effect of that contact wasn’t part of the marriage ceremony and so meant a commitment she didn’t think either of them was ready to make.
If she wasn’t a witch it wouldn’t matter. Marriages were bound by blood and magic combined, not one or the other, so they required the Church’s assistance. But magic was in her blood, and that meant spending six days burning with frustration."

WTF? What? So, magic can be transferred? Or its effects? To everyone, or just Terrible because of his state? What's the Binding? I. Have. No. Clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Story

And, Chess gets involved into two investigations at once, AGAIN. One involved an official Debunking, which she "inherited" from a colleague Aros who left The Church and the other involves fires connected to magic that are happening in Downside, and she's helping her dealer and the Church at the same time.

As always I liked the mysteries, though I always wonder how anyone could investigate themselves out of a paper bag, let alone investigate awful deaths under the influence of so many drugs. How?

And another thing, the fires (view spoiler) So I don't think that was clear enough, or I was expecting a bigger effect of the revelation.

The Relationship

Same old, same old... Chess messes up, Terrible lets it go... I can understand her issues, because she's Chess, messed up, a bit self-destructive and anti-relationships. But, if I were Terrible I'd ditch her, in, like ten minutes. Yes, everyone's messed up, but she's it to the nth. But, on this side of the book, I'm cheering for them and their happiness, even though I still can't say I like Chess and would want to know her... But, as I said, I sympathize.

Basically she's being insecure, as she's aware their relationship could end every second, and she's sure somewhere deep inside it'll end, and she'll be the one to screw it up. Like a self-fulfilling prophecy she's so sure Terrible doesn't trust her, she is in fact, not trusting HIM. On the other hand, her feelings for Lex haven't evaporated. There's still tension, a bit longing, What If, even though she's sure of who she loves. The way of humans, I guess.

Terible is still awesome, and I can't wait to see how things with Lex happen from now on...

Quotes

"Nothing they said interested her, not when she could be talking to Terrible instead."

"Seeing him was like being hit in the chest. Like something exploding inside her, a quick ravenous fire that made her shiver. So bright and so hot it still amazed her that no one else seemed to notice it, that every eye in the place didn’t turn to her while she went incandescent."

"...Knew, too, that the face she looked at wasn’t ugly, that it was strong and it was Terrible’s. That meant it was hers to look at as much as she wanted, and that made something she thought might be genuine happiness ride higher in her chest."

"It swept through her, taking the fear still clenching her chest. It took the memories—they disappeared, they were gone. It took the shame, the sadness, the pain, the blame, all of those things, every bad thing she’d ever felt. It took her deepest and most horrible Truth, the one she’d had all of her life, her knowledge that she was nothing, deserved nothing, meant nothing. That all disappeared, gone in the space of a single breath."

"And Terrible came with it, and those long nights lying in bed barely able to breathe because she thought her happiness would choke her as his chest rose and fell beneath her head. Or the mornings when she woke up and he was looking at her, watching her sleep, and there was something in his eyes that she knew was hers, just hers, that nobody else in the world had ever seen before."

“Shit, Terrible, I don’t know how to do this, I’m sorry I’m fucking it up, I wish I could do it right. But if you were wondering, you know, like if you weren’t sure or whatever … I belong to you. If you want me. I do. And I never did before, to anybody else.”
“Always want you, Chessiebomb. Always.”

4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacrificial Magic.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Great review, Mimi! *waves frantically* We missed you! I hope everything's fine and dandy, my dear!?!

Mimi Smith Thanks, Baba! *waves back* Yes, everything's fine, I was just traveling during the weekend... Hope you're great, too?

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Mimi wrote: "Thanks, Baba! *waves back* Yes, everything's fine, I was just traveling during the weekend... Hope you're great, too?"

Yeah, I'm fine, thanks! :-)

Marina "Chessie....shit, Chessie, I love you so bad."

I love your quotes! and your review!

Mimi Smith Thanks, Marina! There's so much to say about this one... As I said, some things were unclear, but overall I liked it . Terrible is always a winner:). I love that quote, too...

Marina There is a thread, this one......

.....where Stacia answers questions about the books maybe you should post a question there, she answers almost always!