Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal)'s Reviews > Paris in Love

Paris in Love by Eloisa James

Apr 30, 12

Read from April 23 to 24, 2012

Romance author Eloisa James and her husband decided to go live in Paris for a year with their children, after her Mother died of cancer and Eloisa herself was diagnosed (early enough for curative treatment). So in 2009 she went on sabbatical, they sold the house and moved to Paris, intending to relocate to NYC upon returning. This book follows the adventures of Eloisa, her husband Alessandro and their children Luca (14) and Anna (10). This memoir has everything a reader could want - heart, true family interactions/situations, hilarious misadventures (both children and parents) and LOTS of food descriptions, with a couple recipes thrown in. I think what got me so interested in this book was the personable tone of it's revelations. Eloisa admits that a lot of it was compiled from Facebook and Twitter posts during that year. It's not a stretch, considering it does feel choppy in the way that it moves from event to even sometimes. I have always loved her romance novels and her memoir was a great read, well worth the time. Especially to find someone who loves fairy tales, chocolate and her family as much as Eloisa. Some of my favorite parts were when she was reading a book written by an ancestor who also lived in Paris (and was a bit of a pompous ass). Her comments made me laugh out loud. I always felt sorry for the poor, morbidly obese chihauha Milo stuck in Italy with Eloisa's mother-in-law Marina, who insisted that there was nothing wrong with him. Anna's nemesis and later best friend Domitilla and their respective antics also provided much amusment to me as reader. Here are a couple of my favorite passages:

'French chickens come with heads and feet still attached...my butcher cradles the bird like a baby, then waggles its head toward Anna, Turning the bird into a clucking version of Jaws.'

"The Hall of Mirrors at Versailles is gracious, elegant, and jaw-droppingly beautiful. I drifted down the center dreaming that I was a member of the nobless ancienne, my imaginary skirts extending three feet to each side. We all had audio tours; over the elegant sound of a British man informing me about architectural details, I heard Anna talking to her cousin Zoe: 'I dare you to pick your nose in front of that mirror...Go on, I dare you!"

I highly recommend this book even for the most reluctant of memoir or non-fiction readers. You will be happy you spent your time with this book. It will make you laugh, want to cry, sympathize and feel warm inside. Eloisa James is a wonder!

VERDICT: 5/5 Stars

*I received an Advanced Reading E-book Copy from the publisher, via NetGalley. No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book was published April 3rd, 2012.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paris in Love.

04/23/2012
17.0% "Eloisa James is funny AND interesting - a great combination! :)"
show 1 hidden update…