Barbara ★'s Reviews > Black Hole Sun

Black Hole Sun by David Macinnis Gill

1968285
Dec 23, 13

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi, first-in-series, young-adult, aliens-space, read-2013, zzzz-tower-team-mauvelous
Read from December 21 to 22, 2013

This book was a surprise to me as I don't usually like this type of thing. I liked the main characters Durango, Mimi and Vienne. Durange and Vienne are disgraced Regulators who if forced to take on mercenary jobs just to survive. He is helped by Mimi, an artificial intelligence that was planted into his brain. I loved Mimi's sarcasm it was refreshing and had just the right touch of comic relief. I enjoyed the fight against the cannibals and thought that Durango and Vienne did a spectacular job of taking on a force greater and more vicious than themselves. The action was well done though quite a bit over the top but it's to be expected in a book aimed at young boys.

However, I did feel that the book could have used an editor. The text didn't always flow properly - it was kind of choppy at times. And there were many missing words which couldn't be explained by a dialect issue. I also felt the last chapter came out of nowhere and was a huge leap from the end of the action itself. This was a very abrupt shift and rather confusing. I liked the book enough to check into the sequel.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Hole Sun.

12/21/2013 marked as: currently-reading