Connie's Reviews > Second Nature: A Gardener's Education

Apr 23, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: rws_spring12, virtual-books
Read from April 23 to 28, 2012

I'm utterly convinced that Pollan could write a book about macramé, and I would buy, read and enjoy it, even though I can't think of anything less interesting. Thankfully, what he chose and chooses as his topics are all something I care about.
There was a lot to like about Second Nature, and a lot of interesting thoughts and concepts about what it means to garden, and what we can learn about interacting with our environment from the small scale. The book is build of 4 parts, one for each season, and especially spring and the beginning summer were a breeze to read through - no wonder, since that are also the times when there is most to do in gardens. Right around August, it kind of had a little slump, and didn't really pick up the pace again - work in the garden slowly teeters out as you reap the fruits of your labour and begin contemplating.
Since this is his first book, it was interesting to see how his writing changed, how the long winded thinking and philosophizing gave way to a more hands on approach in his newer books, and I'm grateful that they did, since those are the parts that made it into a likeable but not loveable book for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Nature.