karl's Reviews > Lion in the White House: A Life of Theodore Roosevelt

Lion in the White House by Aida D. Donald

M_50x66
Sep 01, 08

Read in August, 2008

This 260-page book on Teddy focuses mostly on his years in the white house. He was McKinley's VP elected effective early 1901, McKinley killed Septmber 1901, Teddy elected on his own effective 1905. While he stayed out 4 years, he ran again in 1912 losing to Taft in a disputed Republican convention. That led him to form a 3rd party (Progressives), but he lost to Wilson. He died in 1919.

The author paints a picture of Teddy as a modern day liberal (then "progressive"): For the common working man, against big trusts, sometimes against big labor, not in favor of immigration of unskilled workers, generally for minorities. I thought this a bit too too.

My favorite parts of the book were the simple discoveries such as: 1. He changed the name from Executive Mansion after some major renovations to the White House, and 2. When President he went bear hunting in Mississippi with bunch of folks. No luck. At the end the locals tied up a baby bear to a tree and tried to get Teddy to shoot it (keep in mind this guy after the Presidency went to Africa and killed like 5 lions, 2 giraffes, hippos, rhinos, zebras). He wouldn't pull the trigger. The coined the phrase "Teddy Bear" based on this incident
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lion in the White House.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan Raffensperger If he is actually painted as a 'modern day liberal', that is sad. He was someone truly unique, truly great; a >REAL< progressive, who was able to support both industry AND labor. Who recognized the importance of both natural resources and natural beauty. I fear we will never see his like again.